Lighting? What is that?

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay... I'm not stupid. I've decided to learn about lighting since I've mastered exposure (I think). Where do I start? Everything seems so confusing, even after reading thread after thread... All I know is... Use a reflector to smoothen the darker size. Diffuse the light to prevent harsh shadows. Bounce the light on the ceiling. Ah it's complicated, as least more than exposure. I don't think what I've learnt is a good starting point. Any ideas?

Actually, what you've learned is a pretty good starting point. Practice, practice, practice.

Read the "lighting 101" (and 102) at Strobist

Really good foundation in a few hours reading. The rest comes from lots and lots of practice.

Lighting theory ties into exposure theory quite tightly, it's not any more complicated than learning exposure, it's just a couple more variables that play with the ones you already know.

I second the strobist.
Neil Van Niekerk has 2 books out on speedlights both on and off camera.
Joe McNally's Hotshoe Diaries is good
StudioLighting.net has a lot on studio lighting that is pretty decent.

I started by studying different portrait lighting styles and the function of each light that you use on the set. I used only 1 light for a while just to see the effect of shadows then gradually add other elements.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back