LIGHTING... Where to start??

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my Pentax k2od camera one lens... about to get a few more. I know lighting is just as important. What should I get. The camera comes with a flash...

Remember I'm doing head shots, modeling portfolios, and the occassional event. Some of my photos may be taken inside but I like to shoot outside-on location a lot too.

So looking for the bare necessities as far as lighting goes... and would like to know what to work towards getting as well. Thanks guys :hug:: :mrgreen:

Lynn

Ok thanks for your replies... good resources... Well currently I only have the flash included in the kit I bought. So two questions I have after doing the research project you gave me :)

#1. Do I use my on-camera flash in addition to the lighting equipment I'm about to get... (Probably silly question but I want to make sure I have a clear understanding of what I need)

#2. Below is a list of the packages and prices... Which one should I get. I don't have a big budget. Can't do the $2000 studio lighting quite yet. I just want to be sure that I'm not getting junk (unnessisary items)... OR is it something that's needed... that the kits don't offer. THanks for your time.

Kit#1: $180

2 x 7 feet light stands
2 x Heavy Duty backdrop supporting tripods 9ft

4 x sectional cross bars 10ft wide

1 x Deluxe carrying case for backdrop stands

2 x swivel light AC umbrella holder sockets

2 x 32" shoot through soft umbrellas

2 x 35w perfect day light bulbs

1 x 10'x12' BLACK muslin backdrop
1 x 10'x12' White muslin backdrop
Kit #2: THIS KIT INCLUDES:
2 10 INCH REFLECTORS
1 5 INCH REFLECTOR
3 SOCKET AND CORDSETS WITH 5/8 INCH STAND MOUNTS
3 ECA 250 WATT PHOTOFLOOD BULBS
3 RAVEN RS8 8 FOOT BLACK ALUMINUM STANDS
2 32INCH WHITE UMBRELLAS
1 IMAGING WITH LIGHT GUIDE

Kit #3
THIS SET INCLUDES: $300
1 FLC200 WATT MONOLIGHT WITH FLASHTUBE
1 100-WATT MODELING LAMP
1 SYNC CORD
1 RAVEN RS8 8 FOOT ALUMINUM LIGHT STAND
1 32 INCH BLACK BACKED WHITE UMBRELLA
1 IMAGING WITH LIGHT GUIDE

Sorry about the difference in fonts... I was looking at the difference in prices in the kits and noticed that the voltage in the lights made a difference in the price... But after you get the equipment isn't easy to buy your own light bulbs with more wattage? Are they expensive. Are they special light bulbs... can you get them from anywhere or should you get them from a photography place?

If your using an off camera flash it's best to use that as the lighting only unless you need light from the camera. Strobist is a good ( if a little disorganised ) site for flash advice.

Personally I use manual mode for flash work so I have a pair of Nikon SB-20 Flash guns. As you know I use a Pentax DSLR ( K200D ) but the Nikons provided the settings I needed ( ability to manually adjust the power output ) at a very cheap price.

I can't use them in ttl mode nore use the Pentax's built in wireless triggering with them however. So I use ebay wireless flash triggers and/or PC leads to trigger them and experiment with lighting until I get the effect I want ( something that will come with practice till it's almost second nature ).

In doors I will use a very narrow aperture and probably 125th or 180th of a second shutter with two flashes. At fairly close range, even on lowish power, this is plenty. Outdoors of course the shutter will slow and/or the aperture open up.

If you are really serious about studio photography I'd suggest buying a really decent strobe to start, rather than the really poorly set-up options your mentioning here. An AB400 from Alienbee should run you about $315 with shipping, and you'll get far more use out of that one light than you ever will from those cheap-o sets.

This is seriously the cheapest kit I'd recommend. You can use elinchrom modifiers with it so it's compatible with a very highly regarded brand. No name off brand kits usually aren't very good.

Plus you want to make sure you get strobes. Hot lights for lighting people is generally a no no.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CF0502K1/specifications

$300 isn't bad I'm looking into that kit. Thanks Village! So that kit is enough to get me by for now... I wasn't sure about those cheaper kits that's why I wanted ask people's opinions before I bought something that really gave no real benefit to the pictures.

So will this kit work with the pentax k20d? All digital cameras? Am I going to have to buy the trigger thingy separately?

$300 isn't bad I'm looking into that kit. Thanks Village! So that kit is enough to get me by for now... I wasn't sure about those cheaper kits that's why I wanted ask people's opinions before I bought something that really gave no real benefit to the pictures.

So will this kit work with the pentax k20d? All digital cameras? Am I going to have to buy the trigger thingy separately?

Does the k20d have a pc port? If not, they have optical slaves. You can buy triggers too if you wish.

Most reactions

Back