Lighting.

Robp412

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you planning on using the lighting for? Still life, product photography, portraits or model shoots? Having a little bit more information on what exactly you're trying to achieve might allow people to provide you with some insight.

I'm going to be doing band promos, and mostly other miscellaneous portraits. I do all the shots for my friends tee shirt company. So mostly portraiture... And to the movies question, most likely not. But I'm not sure that if I buy flashes that I'll be completely okay with what I'll have. I was planning on buying some constants, and then later adding flashes. Anyways, any input would be helpful as I'm gettting lights for christmas. thanks!
-Rob

I'm going to be doing band promos, and mostly other miscellaneous portraits. I do all the shots for my friends tee shirt company. So mostly portraiture... And to the movies question, most likely not. But I'm not sure that if I buy flashes that I'll be completely okay with what I'll have. I was planning on buying some constants, and then later adding flashes. Anyways, any input would be helpful as I'm gettting lights for christmas. thanks!
-Rob

Constants are horrible for carbon based life forms. Something about heating them up too much and not being able to freeze motion due to inadequate power when used with a photon collection device.

What's your budget? You can put together stobe kits for cheap.

Ed: A kit with 2 200w/s strobes which come with stands and umbrellas. They're compatible with Elinchrom lighting modifiers, which means you have a good upgrade path if you ever get to the point where you want to spend $1500 on one strobe. They're digitally controlled and a good bargain for the price. It seems like you were planning on going with something that required AC power, so this is a good set. You could always go with small speed lights, but it's all personal preference and about when/where you want to shoot.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CF0502K1/

So Would I be okay with just 2? and Would these produce a nice bright flash? Also, what could I use for a hairlight/backlight... Thanks alot for the link... Really looking forward to any information from anyone who has use in these lights!
-Rob

Also, my budget is really unkown. All depends on how generous my moms feeling... prob around 5-600?

Buy a third and a stand if you wish? Have you ever used strobes before? There can be a lot to it.

I believe these come with a sync cable. You may be able to use it with your camera. If not, they have a built in optical slave and you can trigger it with your on camera flash which can be easily overpowered. That or buy radio triggers.

Bright is subjective. They're 200 w/s. Most entry level kits at 200-400 w/s it seems. You can get the same kit with 2 400w/s strobes for about $200 more. If you want stronger, you're going to be paying $500+ for just a strobe.

Then again, people use multiple speed lights and can get amazing effects. They're generall about 60w/s each.

Okay. So if I bought this set, a sender, and reciever, would I need another reciever to be able to trigger 2 at the same time? And if I wanted to buy soft boxes down the road which would I buy to fit these lights? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions...
Thanks!
-Rob

Maybe. They have optical slaves. If you buy a transmitter and a receiver, you could either fire the third via optical slave or you could buy another receiver to fire it.

Elinchrom Softboxes. They can be expensive though. Alien Bees are making an adapter ring so you can use AB softboxes with Elinchrom lights. You may be able to find an adapter ring so you can use Amvona softboxes with Elinchrom lights.

okay. Thank you so much for the links and everything! Completely changed my view of flashes to the high view had of constants. Now one more thing, if I'm shooting with these how will I know what speed and f stop to shoot at? Test shots? this is before I buy a light meter...
Thank you!
-Rob

You can pick up an Alienbee B800, which is an 800 effective w/s strobe, for $279. I would check the Alienbee site out here, they have some great packages, and they have a student discount if you ask about it.

Do they have a 2 light kit with 2 umbrellas?

Take a look at their packages section and see if there are any that work for you.

Now would the difference for the 800's and 400's be immaculate? Because the 400's are 50 dollars cheaper, yet i think the 800's would make for a better setup later down the road... Any side by side tests?
-Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back