Lighting

photoman720

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a storm outside and I want to try to capture lightning. Should I set it up on a tripod and keep the shutter open for a while.

Yep, unless you are fast enough to press the shutter just before the lightning goes off. If you are I would really like to meet you!

mike

P.S. there are optical slaves out there for flashes that you might rig up to a remote shutter activator, but I don't know if you could research, procure the parts for and then build it in time. ;) me

If you have a laptop slave the camera to the laptop with a usb cable and set it to take timelapse exposures. 10second exposures every 10.1 seconds should do well. It is easier than sitting there and pressing the button.

If you have a laptop slave the camera to the laptop with a usb cable and set it to take timelapse exposures. 10second exposures every 10.1 seconds should do well. It is easier than sitting there and pressing the button.

is there a specific program that will do this? i have always wanted to do something like this. i know that canon's come some software for the computer but i don't think it has this function...

EDIT: i decided to see if the canon software will do it, and it does! that is a good thing to know. i am glad i read your post!!

Yes the D200 does it in menu, but for D70,80,100 owners there's Nikon's Camera Control Pro.

Infact the only critique against the software and the on camera functions is that timelapses can't be made shorter than 1 second apart.

How is a computer attached to the camera not the most over glorified remote release in existence :greenpbl: Doesn't worry me too much. I'm going to build a small control circuit for my camera anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back