What's new

Lightning, any luck?

I would try finding a better vantage point and have a horizontal frame. Any hills around your area you could shoot at?
 
I was outside on my porch, camera woulda got soaked under an umbrella.
 
A plastic bag does wonders... Wrap it up and tape it, nothing will get damaged.
 
Before you worry about the lightning, I would think about the surrounding. If it is just a sky with lightning, it is a little boring to be honest. Check out this photo by Brett Birdsong.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/528668_284304138314730_324307487_n.jpg

looking at the handles of those wind turbines i would say it cant be one very long exposure. if it was then the handles should be completely blurry.
so my guess would be one of two:
- several shots superimposed
OR
- Hell broke loose

actually now i'm thinking of a third one.... i haven't reached the level to understand how to make such a shot. (sounds a better guess that the first two - :lol: )
 
Before you worry about the lightning, I would think about the surrounding. If it is just a sky with lightning, it is a little boring to be honest. Check out this photo by Brett Birdsong.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/528668_284304138314730_324307487_n.jpg

looking at the handles of those wind turbines i would say it cant be one very long exposure. if it was then the handles should be completely blurry.
so my guess would be one of two:
- several shots superimposed
OR
- Hell broke loose

actually now i'm thinking of a third one.... i haven't reached the level to understand how to make such a shot. (sounds a better guess that the first two - :lol: )

Im not sure I am following you. It is probably a pretty long exposure... maybe a few seconds. The lightning froze the movement every time it flashes. It looks like it flashes 2X.
 
Schwettylens said:
Before you worry about the lightning, I would think about the surrounding. If it is just a sky with lightning, it is a little boring to be honest. Check out this photo by Brett Birdsong.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/528668_284304138314730_324307487_n.jpg

Robin,

Thank you for the picture. That one is amazing! I guess you could say I was experimenting on how to capture such brutal weather. I knew it would t be picture perfect nor would it be an absolute keeper. I was more or less going with how to do it for next time! Then I can set up know my settings and nail the shot. I do appreciate your input and appreciate your advice for the next opportunity.

-Zach
 
Before you worry about the lightning, I would think about the surrounding. If it is just a sky with lightning, it is a little boring to be honest. Check out this photo by Brett Birdsong.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/528668_284304138314730_324307487_n.jpg

looking at the handles of those wind turbines i would say it cant be one very long exposure. if it was then the handles should be completely blurry.
so my guess would be one of two:
- several shots superimposed
OR
- Hell broke loose

actually now i'm thinking of a third one.... i haven't reached the level to understand how to make such a shot. (sounds a better guess that the first two - :lol: )

Im not sure I am following you. It is probably a pretty long exposure... maybe a few seconds. The lightning froze the movement every time it flashes. It looks like it flashes 2X.

:) thank you, i didnt understand why i can see the "Hands" of turbines clearly.

lightning pictures are long exposures but handles are clearly visible, it doesnt fit :) cause moving objects blur with long exposures.
but when you add the "freeze" effect of the lighting it becomes clear. :)

so i was right with my third guess, i still dont have a hold on things and have some more things to learn. ;)

thanks again
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom