Lightning

Whoa. Freakin' awesome. I really like the first picture the best. The shimmer of the water on the pool side and the slight ripple of the pool water add a lot of texture to the shot.

-William

Well done! They're all good but I also like the last one best.

(I heard the storm but I failed to think photo opportunity.)

Thanks Fox Paw! I've been waiting for the right opportunity to shoot lightning, I guess last night was my chance.

Great shots, I love lightning woo hoo.

Thanks Al!

Thanks O|||||||O !

Sweet captures :smileys:.

Thank you K!

MM, wow!

Could you tell us camera, ISO, shutter speed, aperture?

Thanks John! D80, 10-20mm lens, ISO 100, 10 - 30 sec exposures, f 4.0 & lots of praying! :D

Whoa. Freakin' awesome. I really like the first picture the best. The shimmer of the water on the pool side and the slight ripple of the pool water add a lot of texture to the shot.

-William

Thank you William!

AWESOME!

This guy and I at work are constantly complaining that we haven't been able to pull off lightning shots. These are just awesome!

Thanks Christina. Those lightning flashes must have been coming rather frequently. I've been shooting ISO 200, 0.3sec at f/4, and of course have been having lots of trouble with timing.

With your speed at 10 to 30 sec, if I understand correctly, you press the shutter, then over those 10 to 30 seconds, hopefully there'll be a flash of lightning?

I keep hoping for a storm that comes close enough, whose flashes come frequently enough, so I can try your method.

AWESOME!

This guy and I at work are constantly complaining that we haven't been able to pull off lightning shots. These are just awesome!

Thank you!

With your speed at 10 to 30 sec, if I understand correctly, you press the shutter, then over those 10 to 30 seconds, hopefully there'll be a flash of lightning?

I keep hoping for a storm that comes close enough, whose flashes come frequently enough, so I can try your method.

Exactly! I'm sure there is a better way, but that is what worked for me last night.

yeah, a bulb option is the key isnt it. I tried many times to get good lightning but my camera does not have a bulb mode and sure enough once the shutter closes even after a 10 sec exposure, you get the perfect bolt while the image is being processed and written to the memory card. GGRRRR.

yeah, a bulb option is the key isnt it. I tried many times to get good lightning but my camera does not have a bulb mode and sure enough once the shutter closes even after a 10 sec exposure, you get the perfect bolt while the image is being processed and written to the memory card. GGRRRR.
LOL, I understand completely!

Lately, our storms have been quite a way in the distance, with not very frequent flashes. I'll notice that the most activity is toward the south, I'll aim there and wait and wait. All the activity switches to the west. I transfer my aim westward. All the activity is again in the south. GGRRRRR.

That happened to me last night. I missed a triple strike while the image was writing to the card. :grumpy:

LOL, I understand completely!

Lately, our storms have been quite a way in the distance, with not very frequent flashes. I'll notice that the most activity is toward the south, I'll aim there and wait and wait. All the activity switches to the west. I transfer my aim westward. All the activity is again in the south. GGRRRRR.

That's the way our storms have been this year too. Last night was great because it just stayed to the north.

Keep at it and you'll get your photo!

Most reactions

Back