Lightroom 4 deletin question

LarryLomona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do I delete the original photo but leave the virtual copy
in Lightroom 4 ??

I believe that if you delete the original, the virtual copy would also be gone. A virtual copy has to be based on an actual file.
However, what you can do, is to process/export the image to a JPEG, TIFF PSD etc., then re-import the newly created file. You could then delete the original image/file.

I'm wondering why you would want to delete the original file though? If it's just a matter of seeing only the edited/virtual copy, you could stack the images or use collections/filters etc.

I'm wondering why you would want to delete the original file though? If it's just a matter of seeing only the edited/virtual copy, you could stack the images or use collections/filters etc.

That was my first thought. If you want to preserve the develop settings on the virtual copy, just sync it with the original then delete the virtual.

I would not delete the original copy of the image. You could export the finished version, your virtual copy, as a jpeg and then use it how you need to but then if you needed to go back in and make changes you would be limited. Your original file holds alot of metadata. (if you have it set up as such)

We may have scared them away (or they forgot to bookmark).

I think maybe they didn't phrase their question with enough information. I'm wondering if they are in the habit of creating virtual copies, editing them....and then they don't want to scroll though their archive, having to go through both versions.

If that's the case, maybe they shouldn't be making virtual copies and should be just editing the originals (maybe they don't fully understand how LR works).

Or if they just don't want to see both/all versions when they search...they could just stack the copies.

Or maybe they are trying to shrink the file size of their archive...getting rid of the raw files and just keeping the edited JPEGS.

We won't know, unless they come back and tell us.

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful,
I appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back