Lightroom brush tool

Something nice about the Adjustment Brush in ACR (Camera Raw/Develop module) is that you can exaggerate the slider settings to see where it is being applied and then reduce the settings to the desired amount.

or you can check the "show selected mask overlay" at the bottom and it will turn red. Unclick when done and adjust accordingly.

Something nice about the Adjustment Brush in ACR (Camera Raw/Develop module) is that you can exaggerate the slider settings to see where it is being applied and then reduce the settings to the desired amount.

or you can check the "show selected mask overlay" at the bottom and it will turn red. Unclick when done and adjust accordingly.

Or the O key :p

I've always said that Lightroom isn't the most intuitive program to use. People really need some soft of 'formal' education on it, to even start getting the most out of it.
It could just be a good book or two, or some good on-line tutorials (not just tips).

I teach a class on Using Lightroom, it's 18 hours of class time...and it still leave out lots of material.

I used to think it was basic but now that I own it and use it all the time I see why it's the digital darkroom.

Lightroom has only a fraction of the capabilities that are a complete digital darkroom.
While Lightroom in it's current iteration can do maybe 90% of what a photographer needs to do, Photoshop is needed to do the other 10%.
That last 10% is what finishes an image.

Plus Photoshop Camera Raw and Lightroom's develop module are essentially the same thing - ACR.

Lightroom is designed to be a front end supplement to Photoshop CC.
Lightroom is designed for photographers that make a lot of images that are also used to generate income.
The particulars are covered in this book:
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lightroom is designed to be a front end supplement to Photoshop CC.
I would say that 'Lightroom was at first designed to be a front end supplement to Photoshop CC.

With every subsequent version of Lightroom, features have been added that allow users to accomplish things that would previously have required Photoshop...and thus, slowly moving away from 'supplement' and closer to 'replacement' (for photographers).

There probably isn't anyone in the world who actually needs everything that Photoshop can do as it it serves a wide range of uses for many different applications.
Lightroom will never do everything that Photoshop can do but it's designed (in part) by photographers, very much for photographers.

My personal experience is that by shifting the vast majority of my workflow to Lightroom, I tend not to do as many of the little tedious things that I might have done when working mostly in Photoshop. I think this is because when I think about porting an image from LR to PS (and back), I ask myself whether it's worth it or not. Many times, it's probably not worth the time & effort (at least, not at that time), so I keep the image in LR and move on. When working mostly in Photoshop, I tend to ask that question less frequently (or at least less fervently) and so I end up 'just doing it anyway'. When you start doing that on image after image...the time really adds up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back