Lightroom CC eats all my memory!

Get rid of the overclock for now. Eliminate all potential hardware issues. How much ram does LR use when it first opens? Nothing else running?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It doesn't use much at all when starting or running. 4-6 gigs at most. Then out of no where by clicking the crop tool or simply loading the next picture, it will lock up and using all 16gigs or ram, but cpu will remain normal. Very odd. I don't know..I'll figure it out someday I guess. Its probably something stupid too.

I can run lightroom and photoshop and chrome at once and be barely pushing 8 gigs.

Does LR have all the latest updates? Probably a driver issue in Windows 10 causing conflict within LR. Or just a sloppy program bug in LR.

Its all update to date, including Windows. Its either a driver issue or a bug in LR. Only thing I can think of. Lightroom 5.7 worked fine. I can't imagine Lightroom CC being THAT much different..but who knows.

With Windows 10?

There's your answer.

Another rushed piece of poop by two companies.

Probable not so much a direct result of Win10 but more a result of Win10's insistence on upgrading all the drivers to the latest greatest and hence lease stable versions without giving you the option of declining.
I experienced the same problem of lightroom freezing and eating up every scrap of memory the computer had available on my Win7 machine when I foolishly upgraded my video card driver. Reverting back to the old version of video driver solved everything.

Probable not so much a direct result of Win10 but more a result of Win10's insistence on upgrading all the drivers to the latest greatest and hence lease stable versions without giving you the option of declining.
I experienced the same problem of lightroom freezing and eating up every scrap of memory the computer had available on my Win7 machine when I foolishly upgraded my video card driver. Reverting back to the old version of video driver solved everything.
Very true. I communicated a volume of code ques to MS on issues with memory traps and poorly written device drivers. Printers and network cards were real bad.... Funny, they did end up contracting me on network stack development issue, backpressure based routing and network coding. Took me no time to speak of. Deployment guys will love me and not even know it.

turn off gpu performance "enhancement" if you have it on.

on my machine I allocated 10GB to LR out of 16. I've just ordered another 16GB this morning, something I've been putting off.

I did and it made it worse. I think the only thing I have left to do is wait until I install a dedicated video card.

I did and it made it worse. I think the only thing I have left to do is wait until I install a dedicated video card.
That probably has nothing to do with it but doesn't hurt to have a rendering card.

Yesterday I ordered a new 2TB Western Digital Sata 3 Black drive because the 640gb blue drive (I thought it was the black one, I was wrong) is just a Sata 2 and I ran some benchmarks on it and the write speed was so much slower than it should be and the read speed was really bad. My external Usb 3.0 hard drive was nearly 4 times faster. This drive I bought in 2008, so it was time to upgrade it anyways. So maybe the drive was starting to fail or something. I bought it Amazon yesterday afternoon and I'm going to have it today. It most likely wont solve the problem, but it might speed up the editing process a little.

The drive could cause issues like that. Usually though the errors will show up in a hard drive diagnostic test. I assume you ran those. If it's a name brand PC, you may want to check and use the drivers specifically for that computer off of their website for video card drivers (gpu on CPU). Lenovo usually writes their own video card drivers to optimize their hardware as a whole

Last edited:
I have a pretty decent GPU that runs my games at full res and full options at 60FPS (2GB overclocked to 1200MHz IIRC). when i use it for PS and LR it runs like an Apple IIge.

Most reactions

Back