Lightroom not opening correctly

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Windows 10, lightroom 6 - been working great for months.

Now it opens and has a grey background and is "not responding" ... checking my data drive where I keep my catalog and that's all fine - all files there and accounted for.

Any ideas?
Have tried shutdown/power on, restart.
My system is free of malware and virus ... ugh

Thanks.

Have you tried using one of the backed up catalog files instead of the current one? LR loads the catalog file(s) on opening so it's worth a try.

Well, disaster struck. I didn't have any catalog backups and it appears corrupt. I did however have the original raw files. Gah!

Luckily I am not a professional photographer - but this is still painful.

So, I'm now running a full re-install of my OS - just to be safe, and ensuring all backups are in place, and working fully! Blah - time consuming, but I like this kind of stuff - just not all the potential re-work on images.

My LR asked me every time when I exit if I want to do a backup ?

Guess you did one too many Skips ...

I only have the backup reminder set (I think weekly), and I do it and walk away.

that sounds like a major PITA
i have about 1.5 TB of raw files .....

but then, I do backups from time to time :)
and when I just upgaded to LR v6, I now use multiple Catalogs.

Yeah!

Multiple catalogs seems a good idea. I'll import these, back it up, and then create a new one for moving forward with. Just sucks that to import my originals I have to hit my super slow NAS. Maybe I'll push that back to be my resting place, rather than main storage area.

Unfortunately, LR can only access 1 catalog at a time - a major limitation of LR compared to other image database management applications.

Unfortunately, LR can only access 1 catalog at a time - a major limitation of LR compared to other image database management applications.
and it has to ReLaunch when you select a different Catalog.
but I'm fine with that. keeps my photos better organized.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back