Lightroom

terilynne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi--I am contemplating getting lightroom 3 and CS5. I have the free trial of lightroom 3 right now, my question is can you airbrush, soften eyes, change eye color etc in lightroom??

'Air brush' could mean a lot of things.

Lightroom does have spot removal and an adjustment brush, which allows you to make localized edits. But I think that for detailed, specific edits like that, Photoshop is the way to go.

The image editing capability in Lightroom and the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that comes with CS5 are the same parametric edit rendering engine, ACR 6.

Lightroom 3's primary function is image database mangement, not image editing.

Unless you make 1000+ usable image a week, getting Lightroom in addition to CS5 is overkill, and you would just be duplicating what you already get with CS5, ACR 6.

Lightroom does not have selection tools, and cannot do layers and was designed by Adobe® to be a complement to CS5 for working photographers.

Thank-you so much for your replies! So what you are saying is I really wont need lightroom 3 if I get CS5 right?? Or is there things in lightroom that CS5 dont have?? Like I was watching the tutorial for lightroom and it had a function where I can post galleries straight to my FB with my watermarks on them--can I do this CS5 also?? I am just starting out so forgive me if I am asking stupid questions. This is why I was looking for a forum so I could get answers to all my 1000's of questions a day that I have--lolI;) try to find Photographer pages on FB and ask them but they just ignore me :er:

When you get CS5, you also get ACR and Bridge.

Bridge is an image browser and has many image output options including posting to Facebook and Flickr.

As far as editing goes CS5 can do way more than Lightroom can do, while CS5's ACR can also do all the editing things that Lightroom does.

I have both, not because I am a pro, because I am def. not but because I like stuff like that, learning it, etc. CS5 is more powerful and I use it for things LR3 cannot do, but having LR3 to manage my images (I only have about 6000 right now - all excellent quality of course) and LR3 being much easier to apply standard edits to all at once, be much easier to work with regarding minor touch ups like you mentioned, etc I like having both.

If you have the money (I mean like really actually have it - not the credit or the pay yourself back method) it makes no sense to get less than you can have IF you are going to use it. I'm not saying throw your money away, just that I find they both have their useful places even among amateurs like me.

I have LR3 and CS4 Extended. I really like the LR presets. I think LR renders a more...um...smoother (for lack of a better word) finished product. It is very well integrated and allows for easy adjusting, at least IMO. Also, I find LR very useful as I'm shooting in RAW now. It's much more automatic and just a basically a smoother integration.

Do you ever use ACR?

Me or who?

Using quotes helps. If you're talking to me then:

I have used it once or twice and I did not like it as much as Lightroom. I tend to stick with what works. :thumbup:

Do you ever use ACR?

Me or who?

Using quotes helps. If you're talking to me then:

I have used it once or twice and I did not like it as much as Lightroom. I tend to stick with what works. :thumbup:
Lightroom 3's rendering engine is ACR 6.

I have both, I find myself very rarely using CS5 unless I want to try something funky. I started out using CS5 for my basic editing but when I tried lightroom I found it was easier. I find it takes half the time to edit my pictures in LR then CS5. You can "soften eyes", soften skin, whiten teeth and clone things in LR they have tools for that.

I have both, I find myself very rarely using CS5 unless I want to try something funky. I started out using CS5 for my basic editing but when I tried lightroom I found it was easier. I find it takes half the time to edit my pictures in LR then CS5. You can "soften eyes", soften skin, whiten teeth and clone things in LR they have tools for that.
The ACR you have that came with CS5, has the same tools, and can do the same edits.

The ACR you have that came with CS5, has the same tools, and can do the same edits.

Sure it can, but I (and apparently several other people) like Lightroom more.
:thumbup:

OP: If I had to pick one over the other I'd choose Photoshop CS4 (5 whatever,) but if I had enough to pickup Lightroom as well, I would.

Most reactions

Back