Like i said before Raising ISO Above the lowest Setting is Degrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...I am going to try to add something of actual value to this post. For many years, I have been of the opinion that the MOST-important, most-valuable, and most-helpful benefit associated with digital photogeaphy is the ability to use, on a regular basis, camera settings of ISO 400, or higher, with acceptable image quality. In recent years, even-higher ISO levels have become imminently usable with the right cameras.

Simply put, as far back as 2003 with the introduction of the Fuji S2 Pro camera, I have repeatedly written about the usefulness of using ISO settings of 400,500,and 640. When using bounced electronic flash with a speedlight, elevating the ISO setting to 400, or 500, or 640 is my NORMAL operating procedure in larger rooms. My personal, studied optinon is that the range of f/stops and shutter speeds that come with using ISO 400, or higher, is of HUGE BENEFIT in many, many practical picture-making situations!

It is my opinion, after 40-plus years of shooting photos, that ISO 400,500, or 640, offer in general the BEST combination of f/stop and shutter speed settings for many, many real-world photo-making situations. Having grown up with ISO 64 color slide film, and ISO 100 color slide and color negative films, and then ISO 200 color negative films, and finally, with ISO 400 Kodacolor Gold color negative film, as well as Tri-X 400 black & white film at its native ISO of 400, as well as 1-stop pushed to E.I. 800 or 2-stop pushed to a crappy Exposure Index (aka E.I.) of 1,600, I am of the opinion that ISO 400,500,and 640 offer the practical picture-maker the absolute BEST RANGE of useful and beneficial f/stops and shutter speeds for OPTIMAL picture-making, under a wide range of real-world lighting conditons.

The need to get a decent shutter speed AND a small enough lens opening to get some depth of field means that ISO 25, 50, 64,and 100, and 125 films were often TOO SLOW to get the best pictures! Same thing in the modern, digital-captute era.

FORGET technical image quality like that associated with fine grain film, or low-noise and low-ISO digital capture settings! If the flash needs to be bounced off a ceiling that is 15 feet distant, and 10 feet high, using ISO 100 is just stupid! Using ISO 400,500, or 640 extends the flash range, makes the flash in effect "more powerful", and cuts the needed flash power, lowers the flash's recyling time, and also boosts the ability of the camera to record ambient light.

The real, final, bottom line is that RAISING THE ISO to 400, or thereabouts, actually IMPROVES the PICTURES that a person makes! Better shutter speeds. Less blurring. Less camera shake. More depth of field. More effective flash power. More-generous exposure recording for a given light level or flash output. The idea that raising the ISO above the lowest setting is "degrading" is a falsehood. Using ISO 400, or right in that zone, actually IMPROVES the shutter speeds and f/stops and depth of field that the photographer gets to use!

I'm not going to argue this point. Just saying...I know what I am talking about. Disagree with me if you want to. Or, accept this as the truth. ISO 400 is indeed the "sweet spot" for many,many picture-making situations.
I've been shooting at 400 since the '60s.

A: The camera you have with you.
B: Whatever you must do to make the memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Whatever you must do to make the memory.

What??????? I'm just now learning to use my camera, you mean I've got to learn how to make memory now???? Have you got any links to video on that. :adoration:

Hey I used to use a tripod to take night photos at the airfield. 30 seconds F8.
That's what I'm talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Every time I crank up the ISO I just think to myself, let there be light! and then when chimping ...and there was light. And that's usually enough AC/DC for the day.

Sorry...but my crap camera has better image quality than 35mm film. So yeah this thread is rediculous. The sensor is the film. Raising the ISO makes it more sensitive just like film. I always used 400 speed on my film cameras. I didn't have enough $$$ to buy 4 rolls at a time ...100, 200, 400, 1000... LMFAO

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I disagree.
What? That digital is better quality than film? Or that the sensor is the film? Or that my camera is crap?

I believe that your comments were so generalized and oversimplified as to make them inaccurate.

It's going to be worth a couple more pages to figure out what Weepete is snacking on - gotta find out what Wham bars and Lyons midget gems and jelly tots are.

I shoot 400 speed film now (well, not right this minute). I remember having used 800 or 1000 but never cared for the quality of the color.

Just realized this is in beginner's section, maybe it ought to be moved to, um... Off Topic. Waaay off topic.

Shooting ISO 100 is addicting. I know, I've met a photographer who shoots ISO 100 all the times. I think we should have a new section for anonymous photographers need a 12 step program. Help them to understand that it is okay to shoot ISO 6400.

Last edited:
Shooting ISO 100 is addicting. I know, I've met a photographer who shoots ISO 100 all the times. I think we should have a new section for anonymous photographers need a 12 step program. Help them to understand that it is okay to shoot ISO 6400.

I once new a strobist guy who regularly shot people in a DISCO. He was friends with the owner who also covered the photographers bills.

What he did is always shoot at base ISO with exposure times like 1 second or 2 seconds BUT he had cheapo flashes glued to the ceiling and walls and synchronized on the second curtain to fire them. This way he captured the colorful light of the DISCO and had perfectly sharp and well lit faces as a second laxer in the exposure...

Sure, if you're in control of lighting, it's perfectly doable. I don't think anyone ever doubted that. The problem is most people don't have synchronised flashes all over the place...

Sorry...but my crap camera has better image quality than 35mm film. So yeah this thread is rediculous. The sensor is the film. Raising the ISO makes it more sensitive just like film. I always used 400 speed on my film cameras. I didn't have enough $$$ to buy 4 rolls at a time ...100, 200, 400, 1000... LMFAO

I disagree.
What? That digital is better quality than film? Or that the sensor is the film? Or that my camera is crap?

I believe that your comments were so generalized and oversimplified as to make them inaccurate.

What is inaccurate? Why do you want to make things complicated?

Lens/ Curtain/ Sensor or Lens/ Curtain/ Film. That's it. There is no more.

As far as ISO on a sensor I think the best analogy would be a guitar and a marshall amp.

Remember Gain is not volume.

When the amp is set at gain 1 (ISO 100) there is minimal distortion. What is called clean in the music world.

When the amp is set at gain 10 (max ISO) there is maximum distortion. The sound of distorted guitar.

Electronic ISO in a nutshell.

Simple answers to simple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back