List of compatible lens for the Nikon D40/D40x/D60

Yes, the HSM indicates Hyper Sonic Motor, so it will autofocus with the D60.

That's what I thought, but this ad for the lens confused me:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381616-REG/Sigma_300306_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html

Under features it says:

NOTE: HSM lenses, while able to manually focus with all Nikon F-mount cameras, will autofocus ONLY with the following cameras- F6, F5, F4s, F100, N90s, N90, N80, N75, N70, N65, D1 & D2-series, D50, D70, D100, Pronea 6i, and Pronea S (or newer camera models). With other models, HSM or AF-S lenses must be focused manually. This is the same limitation as Nikon's own AF-S lenses.

Older film bodies lacked the "smarts" to drive AF-S/HSM lenses electronically, so you had to manually focus them. Obviously that list is a bit out of date since it only mentions the D50, 70, and 100. The D200, D80, D40, D40x, D60, D300, D3, etc weren't even out yet. no worries, the 30/1.4 HSM siggy will work great on the D40. ;) it does say "or newer" camera bodies, as all newer bodies all have the smarts to drive electronic focus lenses.

Don't forget the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8!!! I have one and it works perfectly.

Don't forget the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8!!! I have one and it works perfectly.
Yeah! I was trying one out instore on mine, and it was great. I was about to buy it, but alas, too much money for me. I will be getting it (or the sigma) in the near future when money appears.

Question:

Will the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 DG lens autofocus on my D40? I keep getting mixed up in what does and doesn't. I have an opportunity to get one for real cheap, and I thought this lens would be best for me.

EDIT: Okay, now i get it! So that lens i mentioned above will not AF. But the new Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM will, in fact, AF with my D40.

Last edited:
Here's a quick nothing special grab shot of my daughter with my D40 and a 50mm f/1.4 AF-D lens that you "can't use" wide open at f/1.4.

You CAN use older lenses via manual focus, and a lot of times it's not even a big deal, particularly with wideangles or fisheyes. For more normal length large aperture primes like the 1.8 or 1.4 50mm, yes it's difficult to get precise focus. But it's difficult to get precise focus even with autofocus too, especially for moving targets. Still, you don't have to be shooting large aperture primes wide open to enjoy them. Stopped down you can still enjoy their supreme sharpness, color, contrast, and light weight, and have relatively easy manual focusing at f/2.8 and smaller apertures.

Some of the faster lenses (F1.4-F2.8) are hard to get the right focus. Also, it kind of defeats the purpose of a "fast" lens if you have to manual focus, especially if by the time you turn the ring whatever you wanted to shoot is either gone, and you missed that moment. Unless you're shooting landscapes or portraits, manual focus sucks. The only reason I upgraded to a D70S from my D40 is because I could finally use my 50mm F1.8.

Some of the faster lenses (F1.4-F2.8) are hard to get the right focus. Also, it kind of defeats the purpose of a "fast" lens if you have to manual focus, especially if by the time you turn the ring whatever you wanted to shoot is either gone, and you missed that moment. Unless you're shooting landscapes or portraits, manual focus sucks. The only reason I upgraded to a D70S from my D40 is because I could finally use my 50mm F1.8.

Hmmmmm... I shot sports for over 20 years and did it all with manual focus lenses. Manual focus is no better or worse- just different. If you learn to use it correctly, you're actually better off and in many instances, can even focus more-quickly than an AF lens.

It should also be pointed out that the D40 and D40x are the exceptions in the Nikon lineup rather than the rule. If you choose a camera such as the D200 (which has dropped in price, and you can pick up a used one dirt cheap now...) you can use the entire line of Nikon glass- even the 40 year old manual focus lenses.

Most reactions

Back