List of items I need to start with

Mollykat88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a Canon Rebel XT digital camera and will be doing more and more photo shoots this year. I will need a list if things to get started. For example I have a room at home to do head shots. What do I use for a back drop? I will be shooting my first wedding in October, what do I need to bring with me? Help!

Not to be the ass here, but.....

If you are asking us what things you need to get started, and what you need to bring with you to a wedding, I would have to say a professional.

This is the one day they want remembered for the rest of their lives. If you don't know what to do or even bring..... I'm not sure that you're the right one to capture those moments.

Don't take that the wrong way. :hug::

Are you brand new to photography? If you have no idea what you are doing then headshots and wedding portraits are probably not a good idea to start with unless they are friends or family and understand that you are an amateur. Try Model Mayhem to get models in for practice but don't expect to be raking in bundles of money.

As for shooting the wedding, wedding photography is extremely difficult. Unless the couple has a professional wedding photographer and you will just be shooting extra shots then don't do it until you have more experience under your belt. Most professional wedding photographers have 2 bodies with fast glass on them. They also have assistants and tons of experience. Remember, these photos will last a lifetime and capture an extremely precious moment.

I don't mean to discourage you.

Ok, as for equipment. You might want to check out a kit like this for lighting. Strobist Starving Student SC3 Lighting Kit

Backdrops | Backgrounds - Muslin | Canvas | Digital | Gradient | Crinkle

or

Cheap DIY (Homemade) Muslin Photography Background | DIYPhotography.net

I will be shooting my first wedding in October, what do I need to bring with me?
At least two cameras.
At least a couple flash units.
At least a couple good quality lenses, preferable 'fast' lenses.
More batteries & memory cards than you'll need.

If you are asking us what things you need to get started, and what you need to bring with you to a wedding, I would have to say a professional.

This is the one day they want remembered for the rest of their lives. If you don't know what to do or even bring..... I'm not sure that you're the right one to capture those moments.

october is a long time away, so u r being kind of an ass. ;)

What is your budget? If you have the cash then I would recommend the 17-55 2.8 IS and 70-200 2.8. Those lenses are expensive but will be all the glass you need for your weddings, and most anything else you tackle for now . Get yourself good flash (580EX) and like mentioned, it's a good idea to have a second body, spare cards and batteries.

If your on a budget then there are some good 3rd party lenses in those focal lengths to consider as well. From personal experience I recommend the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Sigma 70-200 2.8 ( Although finding a trouble free copy of the Siggy can be challenging, if you find one it's a GREAT lens) The Tamron 70-200 2.8 is a nice lens as well (Very sharp, great colors) but the AF is inferior to Canon and Sigma. The Tamron would work fine for anything other than fast action sports. Another good lens for the money is the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro, which can be bought used around $300 bucks. It's probably important to note that all the wide zooms I mention are for EF-S mount (1.6 crop) bodies only, like your Rebel, or the XXD series bodies.

The hardest part will be getting familiar with your equiptment and making the proper adjustments quickly and accurately while the wedding is underway. Take the next 8 mos. learning how to adjust your camera for any situation, and especially learn how to operate that flash.

For your photography at home I recommend a decent tripod, and you can buy backgrounds with stands on E-Bay fairly cheap, or just make your own (Just do a Google search on "Homemade studio backdrop" ) with Muslin material and PVC, I make my own muslin backgrounds with white muslin and RIT dye solution. You will need lighting and I strongly recommend avoiding those cheap E-Bay lighting kits that they sell for like $200 bucks...they are crap (Trust me, I have a set collecting dust in my basement). Alien bees offers quality starter kits for not much more,that you will LOVE. Honestly, the best thing I can recommend is READ, READ, READ. Learn as much as you can about what you want to do, and never be afraid to try.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:

october is a long time away, so u r being kind of an ass. ;)

You're kidding, right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back