Little Big Giant

that1guy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$littlebiggiant.jpg
Captured this image on Hamahiga Island. I was actually trying to do a photo assignment with a great DoF using high aperture (f/16 -> above) didnt know i got this lil guy in the corner of the shot. (thanks little dude!)Processed it a little in LR then swapped over to do a little more in PS converted it to BnW and love the outcome
icon_smile.gif
| Camera: Canon 5D Mark II | Lens: Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 L | Focal length: 48mm | Exposure: 1/125 | Aperture: f/16 | ISO: 200 | Flash: N/A | Software: Adobe Lightroom / Adobe Photoshop / NIK Silver Effects Pro |

All my opinion so take it with a grain of salt

Where this disappoints for me is the conversion - huge amounts of blank space in sky and sand and very contrasty - and tiny figure being so so small and so far in the corner.
Now it is possible to create a good picture with lots of blank space but in those cases the space is actually doing something, balancing other elements, creating a mood. In this case, it is just 'there'.
The figure is small past the point where it is easily seen and, being in the corner, the mind perceives it as not important. Additionally the big rock in its entirety doesn't have any real relationship to the figure.

If the picture is cropped like this, the figure is moved out of the corner a bit and now that segment of rock looms over the figure and actually points to the figure.

$littlebiggiantllll.jpg

Last edited:
nice crop i really didnt pay attention to cropping out the rock formation

but i like your crop it really does make the image more interesting and the small boy more noticable

Thanks! :)

On of the best ways to get objective about your own pictures is to let a few days go by and look at them with fresh eyes and try to understand why you took the picture and what you were trying to say.
Fresh eyes and no attachments is what a viewer has and you need to try to emulate.

It's the toughest thing to do.

On of the best ways to get objective about your own pictures is to let a few days go by and look at them with fresh eyes and try to understand why you took the picture and what you were trying to say.
Fresh eyes and no attachments is what a viewer has and you need to try to emulate.

It's the toughest thing to do.

ohhh this is interesting i never thought of this... i will def keep this in mind

i actually was trying to photograph the rock formations and it so happened the kid ran in the shot last sec thought it was pretty cool

Attachments

• $IMG_8519.jpg
    $IMG_8519.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for humoring me. I think it translates well to B&W. I like the crop by The_Traveler. The water line gets a little washed out (no pun intended), but I know that tropical sun drenched waters can be funny, though I like how contrasty they can be with B&W.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back