Live View on 50 - any drawbacks? Old member with new equip!

Jon K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys - just upgraded from a Digital Rebel 300D to a Canon 50D, grip, shutter remote, 50mm F/1.4, 16-35 F/2.8L, 70-200 F/4L, and loving it so far.

The 50D is a nice camera so far. I wanted to go with the 5D Mkii but with the money I saved from buying that, I bought the 16-35 F/2.8L, which I think is worthwhile until I see a need for video. FF would have been nice, but for now, I am content! 16mm on FF must be awesome... but anyway...

Is there any long term effect of using Live View? I find it EXTREMELY useful for taking photos where I can't get my face down in the viewfinder. But, to me, it seems like the mirror is up and the sensor could, in theory, get more dust on it being exposed like that.

Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks Guys!

Most of the dust will come from outside. As long as the lens remains sealed on the camera while using live view, there shouldn't be a problem.

There is a bit of dust that will come from the original foam slowly wearing, but it's not anything to worry about. Plus you have EOS cleaning system, anyway.

Don't worry about it. When it gets dusty enough for you to notice, cleaning it is trivial.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back