Scandinavian trip - Equipment recomendations

JRWappel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am heading to a part of the world that I have never been and was wondering if anyone could make some equipment recommendations. The trip will be about a week and a half in November and will take me from Oslo, Norway... down through Sweden... and on to Copenhagen, Denmark. I suspect that that it will be mainly landscape photography with some indoor and portrait stuff thrown in. Honestly, I've never been to this part of the world and don't even have a clear idea of my itinerary just yet.

I currently have the following lenses (all Canon): 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 100mm f/2.8L MACRO IS, and 16-35 f/2.8 L II

The body is a 5D mkII. I have a Speedlite 430ex II which I will most likely bring. I don't usually use filters but I have a couple of CPL's... mainly when shooting cars during the day.

I might also pick up an 85mm 1.2 or 1.8 L before I leave.

Now, the real question... I'm trying to pack fairly lightly and would like to bring the bare minimum. If I get the prime... I might just take the 16-35 and call it a trip.

Any thoughts?

-JRW

Ive never been to that part of the world but if I was going and it was a once in a liftime trip I would bring all the available options that I had including a tripod. Except maybe the 100 macro, I love that lens but if I had to leave something that would be it. I would also bring the 70-200 before the 85 just for the versatility.

How these may be regarded in this day and age by airport security, i don't know.

With the 5D you have your lenses pretty well covered, if I had to pair it down to only two I would go with the 24-105 and the 70-200 with a tripod. You almost have the range of the 16-35 covered, but might need it if you are inside some tight spots, but good technique and mulitple shots stitched together can make up for that little bit of difference.

Leave the 100mm Macro at home, it's only going to be extra weight. If you are looking at cutting down on weight and bulk I would also skip the 85mm, it's range is also covered by the first two lenses.

Get an off camera cord for your flash. The 3 footer at a minimum, but the 16 would really be more flexible. FlashZebra.com: Off Camera ETTL Cords for Canon

When I did my 21 day Panama Canal Cruise I only needed the 24-70 and 70-200 that I had, the other lenses (16-35,100mm macro) all stayed in the big bag in the cabin. Although I wish I had brought the 4002.8 IS, but that would have dramatically increased my weight.

Panblue, there are no problems going through airports with camera equipment. I routinely fly carrying my ThinkTank Airport Addicted bag stuffed full that at times weighs in over 50#. the chem heat packs are an issue though and you most likely will have to leave them in the trash bin at the gate, if you feel you need them get them somewhere locally.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the 70-200 and 24-105 should work out just fine.

I use the 24-105 quite a bit, but it's low light performance is sometimes an issue for me. Sometimes I wish I had the 24-70 non-IS lens instead.

One more question... tripod... I have an el-cheapo that's not overly sturdy but extremely light or I have a Manfrotto tripod and head that is so strong and stable but soooo super heavy.... think I can get away with the cheap one? I do like to taking bracket photos for a little HDR action when I return.

Thanks again,

-JRW

Panblue, there are no problems going through airports with camera equipment. I routinely fly carrying my ThinkTank Airport Addicted bag stuffed full that at times weighs in over 50#. the chem heat packs are an issue though and you most likely will have to leave them in the trash bin at the gate, if you feel you need them get them somewhere locally.

OK. landscape photography in Norway in November is going to be cold work.

OK. landscape photography in Norway in November is going to be cold work.

Yeah, the trip isn't really about photography... I have other reasons to be there, but I extended my stay to do some exploring and shooting. It's been in the mid to high 40's with no white stuff on the ground, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. This will be my first... and probably last... time visiting that region... have to make it count!

-JRW

Most reactions

Back