Fujidave

Blue eyed and Beautiful
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Using the Fuji X-H1 + XF 50mm f2 wide open today, this is Lo a lovely young lady who plays guitar but as the sun came out we did a few shots outside.

Lo by Dave, on Flickr

I've looked at this several times before commenting. It's a great start but theres a few things that IMO could make it better.

• Background - the color is not helping, it's to close to skin and sweater that there's little separation, and the knot holes are a distraction that pulls the eye away from he young lady. Backgrounds are an important element of the composition. Think color scheme when planning your shots. Here's a good read on color theory Basic color schemes: Color Theory Introduction
  • Posing - With women I've always felt squared off shoulders were not feminine. Having the shoulders angled and tilted slightly to the camera provides a more appealing look for them. Conventional theory on slender women is to have the head turned toward and slightly tilting to the high shoulder, and I'm old school high shoulder to the camera. In this case doing so would have helped the hair sculpt around the face instead of hanging off into free air.
  • Lighting - Overall is good but using a reflector to provide fill into the eyes would have lit them up.

I would suggest to crop a little off of the top and if this is a crop then add more to the left. Crop to a 5x4. The knot on the right is a little distracting and would clone that out. I've seen your other shots of the performers and they are lucky to have you photographing their performances.

I've looked at this several times before commenting. It's a great start but theres a few things that IMO could make it better.

• Background - the color is not helping, it's to close to skin and sweater that there's little separation, and the knot holes are a distraction that pulls the eye away from he young lady. Backgrounds are an important element of the composition. Think color scheme when planning your shots. Here's a good read on color theory Basic color schemes: Color Theory Introduction
  • Posing - With women I've always felt squared off shoulders were not feminine. Having the shoulders angled and tilted slightly to the camera provides a more appealing look for them. Conventional theory on slender women is to have the head turned toward and slightly tilting to the high shoulder, and I'm old school high shoulder to the camera. In this case doing so would have helped the hair sculpt around the face instead of hanging off into free air.
  • Lighting - Overall is good but using a reflector to provide fill into the eyes would have lit them up.

I would suggest to crop a little off of the top and if this is a crop then add more to the left. Crop to a 5x4. The knot on the right is a little distracting and would clone that out. I've seen your other shots of the performers and they are lucky to have you photographing their performances.

Thank you both for the tips, will remember for the next shoot.

Dave, I really like the shot on your Flickr page of Lo in front of the graffitied roll up door, that and the shot of her smiling with her bass, really shows off her personality.

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for sharing your work. I really like the intensity of the musician's expression, her strong gaze into the viewer - it makes me want to know her thoughts and what inspires her. I also like the simplicity of the portrait, and the pleasant composition created by the arch of her hair continuing down the collar of her sweater. The palette of similar colors adds to the simple and appealing look of the portrait. So great that she was so willing to work with you!

Dave, I really like the shot on your Flickr page of Lo in front of the graffitied roll up door, that and the shot of her smiling with her bass, really shows off her personality.

Dave, thanks for sharing your work. I really like the intensity of the musician's expression, her strong gaze into the viewer - it makes me want to know her thoughts and what inspires her. I also like the simplicity of the portrait, and the pleasant composition created by the arch of her hair continuing down the collar of her sweater. The palette of similar colors adds to the simple and appealing look of the portrait. So great that she was so willing to work with you!

Thank you both, for my very first shoot it was really good and we of us got on really well and Io and I are looking forward to to out door shoot soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back