Local camera store vs online store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. I'll be the bad guy and say that I shop online. I have very few local stores, and the ones I do have suck. Staff that doesn't know ****, except how to upsell.

**** them. They went out of business for a reason. If they had knowledgeable staff, they might still be around. Knowledgeable staff don't like working for minimum wage though, and that's all the brick and mortar stores are offering. So you're stuck with salesmen that don't know **** about cameras.

Companies **** all over their employees then wonder why they leave...

Meh. I'll be the bad guy and say that I shop online. I have very few local stores, and the ones I do have suck. Staff that doesn't know ****, except how to upsell.

That's an interesting statement.

You say all they know how to do is upsell, but they can't upsell if they don't know about the gear.

So, your statement begs the question: Do they know the gear and upsell, or do they not know the gear?

**** them. They went out of business for a reason. If they had knowledgeable staff, they might still be around. Knowledgeable staff don't like working for minimum wage though, and that's all the brick and mortar stores are offering. So you're stuck with salesmen that don't know **** about cameras.

I really have to know: Do you go into a local store with this attitude? Because, I gotta' be honest, you wouldn't last a New York minute in my store before being shown the door.

Instead of walking around with this very obvious chip on your shoulder, have you talked to the owner? Have you told him why you shop online? I would imagine he would be interested in listening to your complaints and concerns, provided you present them without resorting to expletives...

Companies **** all over their employees then wonder why they leave...

What companies are these? I know of several Mom & Pop stores, in a number of different industries, which have employees who've been with them for decades...

I'm living in a small town , everytime I wanna buy a camera ,I usually shop online but always get best prices & fees also the quality is really good . As my local store is pretty expensive & I'm not sure about quality of their camera . So regarding your problem I think it depend a lot on how we do research before shopping online or where we live to get a bad or good local stores .
Example about fitness stores in my country , all of them selling with stupid prices , I'm in asia and I usually get cheaper price by shopping in US lol even with duty tax and high shipping fees but still lower price then within country's stores .

Anyway good luck with your shopping experience my friends :)

Doing research? That would be tough if you don't anything about DSLR. How do you understand the specs? You need a professional to give you a good opinion to buy a right gear.

I'll always try to support the local guy first.

I've purchased products from B&H, but only when my local guy didn't have it. I will, however, willingly pay more for a product if the local guy has it in stock. I never feel "ripped off", simply because it's a conscious decision I've made to support my local merchant.

The saddest thing, and one of the most ironic things, I've seen is when people buy from online merchants, and then whine when their local store closes...
After a 38 year relationship with my local camera store owner, (I purchased my first camera from him, a brand new Minolta SRT-202) he finally closed the doors 2 years ago. I tried my best to support him over the years and I did pay his premium price most of the time when he had the item I needed. But on some higher end products I was led to the much lower price of B&H or Adorama.

My closest camera store now (45 minutes away) has a much better selection and are priced very close to the big boys. :)

Shooting Sony, gear is simply not available at my local stores.

Even when I tried to purchase from a local store, the price difference simply made no sense. Shopping for a Manfrotto tripod, it was 475$ in store with no flexibility on price at all or 225$ from B&H with free shipping,.,

When I can, I always buy local. Apparently, photography is one area it doesn't work for me.

There is a very large store near our home that is part of a local chain. They have everything and the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Their website is terrible so you really have to go in there or call to see if they have what you want. Prices for new equipment are very similar to the online stores for most items but their return policy stinks. Very restrictive: 7 days or merchandise credit only and they charge a 15% restocking fee if you open the box. I confess that I go in there often to browse and I used them to get hands on with the products I'm considering but in the end I usually order online for anything other than cleaning supplies or used deals.

On the other hand, I had a very good experience with B&H returning an item that I bought online after the 30 day window and their prices are good. Cameta has that 1 year warranty on refurbished merchandise that my local store will not match an Adorama has the VIP option to extend the warranty on refurb/used. Also, online I save the MA 6.25% sales tax - well at least for now. It seems that Congress can finally agree on something and that perk will soon be lost.

Like Kolia, we shop locally whenever possible but only if the price difference is minimal and the customer service/return policies are the same.

You say all they know how to do is upsell, but they can't upsell if they don't know about the gear.
They know that lens "A" cost more than lens "B", and that they would rather sell you lens "A". They can probably recite the marketing material too, but that necessarily mean they understand any of it.

I really have to know: Do you go into a local store with this attitude? Because, I gotta' be honest, you wouldn't last a New York minute in my store before being shown the door.

[...]

What companies are these? I know of several Mom & Pop stores, in a number of different industries, which have employees who've been with them for decades...
We really don't have "mom & pop" anything around here. I'm taking about chain stores, pretty much any of them - tough some are worse than others.

I try not to go in expecting the worst, but after seeing the same thing over and over, it's hard not to.

The employees at these kind of places usually are concerned with one of two things - their commission, or getting you out of there as fast as possible so they can get back to texting their girlfrIend.

Customer service is nothing more than a section of the store.

Like Kolia, we shop locally whenever possible but only if the price difference is minimal and the customer service/return policies are the same.

And that's a big part of the problem: Customers want the local guys to do what the big online retailers do, and that's simply unrealistic. Holding them to such criteria is what drives them out of business...

And that's a big part of the problem: Customers want the local guys to do what the big online retailers do, and that's simply unrealistic. Holding them to such criteria is what drives them out of business...
In my case, had the store met me half way price wise, they would have sold a tripod and made some profit...

Has anybody shopped at Target, Walmart, or another similar department store? Just curious, because I've never bought a DSLR or other related products in any of these stores.

Has anybody shopped at Target, Walmart, or another similar department store? Just curious, because I've never bought a DSLR or other related products in any of these stores.
I've shopped in those stores, but not for cameras. Wal-Mart especially, I avoid as much as possible. (It's not always possible here - there are some things that they just don't have anywhere else here. Tv's, for example.)

Those places typically only have entry level cameras and lenses.

I can agree with you on this regarding price. Even with the sometimes slightly higher prices at my local store, I get the benefit of instant gratification, an easy return process (no shipping the item back) and the ability to try it on for size at the store and get knowledgeable advice. I am fine with paying a bit more for all of that. But, in today's competitive market, I don't think a 7 day return policy is reasonable nor is a 15% restocking fee.

Also, they have 8 locations in 4 states so they are local to me but not a small one shop operation by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back