Local Color

mygrain

Friend to nose goblins everywhere
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I live in a very small university town that has a bulging amount of artist types of all sorts. For visual artists it's hard to squeeze work into our few galleries and antique shops due to the masters who live close by and visiting artist from all around the world. Many of the younger artist, like myself, have resorted to hanging work in restaurants and an annual group exhibit that we get a local real estate company to donate the space for a week(which means it's at a different location each time) and get local businesses to sponsor with food and drink. We just have to pay for the electricity and man the gallery. We advertise for the sponsors with a side projector aimed at the most visible and accessible wall, toting photos of their store fronts and we take turns clicking during the opening and encouraging our patrons to do so too. Its all in all a chore to accomplish but we sell tons of work and draw huge crowds..it's usually a party by the end of the opening too.

What do you guys do to get work hung?

All I can think of are coffee shops/small restaurants downtown.

I live in a town with a population of 1000, so even if I DID have anything good enough to have put up in a gallery or something, I wouldn't have anywhere to do it anyway!

Usually through the Atlanta Photography Group. They have affiliations with a few galleries. Some of the shows are tough to get into. But it is a blast to be included and see your stuff appropriately hung and well lit, and watch people actually study it for more than thirty seconds. :wink: The only other avenue I have is through the local photography school, and hopefully that will pick up again - it's been nearly a year since I participated in an exhibit there.

Your idea sounds like a great collective effort, though. A lot of work but great community involvement. I have not heard of anything similar going on around here, but I'm guessing Atlanta and Oxford are worlds apart, unfortunately.

Most reactions

Back