weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First pic processed of the ospeys at Loch of the Lowes. The chicks are fledging now so we got a fair time in the air with them all flying. The guy next to me made me jealous of his 600mm f4 L which I could have done with to lower my ISO, but maybe some day. I liked this shot because of the contrast with the clouds and dark sky, but because of the mixed weather the sun was shining through the scattered clouds

Ospey 1 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Great shot!

Be careful of the envy. I shoot with someone with a 400 2.8 and it’s an incredible lens. But I also don’t think I give up much at my level shooting my Sigma 150-600 Sports. And I have an extra $10,000 in my pocket over what he spent on his lens.

The only time I get jealous is when we can slap a teleconverter on and still shoot at f/4.

You did just fine with your TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011. No envy needed:applouse:

Thanks Dean, that's much appreciated. My 10 year old 7D is showing it's age now and though the autofocus is good enough it's not as fast as with a canon lens. I've actually started adjusting my technique and letting the autofocus do the work, shooting in multi point focus mode for BIF. I've been suprised about just how many shots I've got acceptable focus on but the noise levels are killing it for me a bit, combine that with high ISOs (normally this was actually a rare exception in good light). I could have really used a 500mm or 600mm with a 1.4 TC here to fill the frame a bit more. But I'm learning: as with any photo good light is key, get as close as you can and don't crop too much in post!

Great shot!

Be careful of the envy. I shoot with someone with a 400 2.8 and it’s an incredible lens. But I also don’t think I give up much at my level shooting my Sigma 150-600 Sports. And I have an extra $10,000 in my pocket over what he spent on his lens.

The only time I get jealous is when we can slap a teleconverter on and still shoot at f/4.

Thanks Medic! Yeah I know mate, as long as I can get close enough my tamzooka is sharp enough, I've got some good close up shots of small birds that would have been trash far away, but that extra reach with the ability to fit the TC would be really handy. Maybe Canon will release the 90D soon and I can upgrade. Anyway, this wildlife stuff is a joy to shoot and Mrs Weepete is liking joining me and seeing these fantastic creatures so I'll have fun in the meantime!

It's a nice pic, I like it just fine. If I ever go professional I'll get that Canon f/4 L.

Very good shooting, pity you could not get closer...........

Very good shooting, pity you could not get closer...........

thanks Jeff15, I agree it would have been ideal if I could have got a bit closer, but was limited with the distance of the hide. I think ospreys are schedule 1 birds in the UK, so their nests are protected by law. This is where a 500mm or 600mm prime with a 1.4 tc could have really helped giving me an equvalent focal length of 1100 or 1300mm

It's a nice pic, I like it just fine. If I ever go professional I'll get that Canon f/4 L.

Why wait? My friend would often take on the role of enabler when I would pine for a D5 by saying "Who deserves a $6,000 camera more than you?".
Save your pennies and keep your eyes open. I made a great score at an estate sale over the winter.

Why wait? My friend would often take on the role of enabler when I would pine for a D5 by saying "Who deserves a $6,000 camera more than you?".
Save your pennies and keep your eyes open. I made a great score at an estate sale over the winter.

I never see anything good/used and affordable online so that's actually a good idea. :trink39: I should kick myself! I live in a retirement community and sadly, estate sales are plentiful. I'm going to make a habit of going to them even if it's just for a few minutes for now on. Thanks for the eye opener!

I never see anything good/used and affordable online so that's actually a good idea. :trink39: I should kick myself! I live in a retirement community and sadly, estate sales are plentiful. I'm going to make a habit of going to them even if it's just for a few minutes for now on. Thanks for the eye opener!

Of course, we're all on the same team.

I always check my local Craigslist postings, too. I got a very nice Samyang 14mm f/2.8 at a nice price that way.

I also got my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 from eBay. But I had to put some effort into that one. I watched quite a few before it all came together.

Most reactions

Back