London - Night Shots

holy crap, awsome some shots!! 1 and 2 are my favorite...great job!

Wow! thanks a lot for the load of comments! :mrgreen:

what was your white balance on these?

Hmm, not 100% sure. I usually shoot on AWB and change it in PS later. It's nearish "tungsten" I think ;)

Do you remember the lens and such that you used? I would be interested in knowing - thanks!

Sigma 10-20 for all of them execpt the first, which was a Sigma 24-70 (I'm not a Sigma fanboi, it's just that they're cheap ;))

3,4, and 5... just wow. i love the trails, how did you get that effect?
Long exposure, about 15-30 secs on most.

What camera did you use?
Canon 30D (and tripod). Any camera that can keep the shutter open of 15 secs or more will do :)

how in the world do you get such awesome light trails without anything being overexposed or blown out?????

Stop down to arround F11 or smaller and take a 15 secs exposure. Check the histogram to make sure it's not too over exposed and stop down further if need be. I shoot in RAW which does wonders for highlight recovery ;)

How about a shot of the "Gherkin" one night?

I can never seem to get a good shot of the Gherkin! Will try harder ;)

please tell all! how you had your camera set, what lens any filters. these are amazing and i'm extremely curious how you got these :p
probably near my 10th time coming back to stare at them

Thanks a lot :mrgreen: As above really... tripod, 15 secs, f11 ish, no filters (they tend to make the flare worse with all that light around). Try an exposure, check histogram, stop down more if need be or exposue for longer. Bit trial and errors and a few exposures until you get something you like.

Thanks again, you guy's are the best ;) :thumbup:

.. tripod, 15 secs, f11 ish

Played in London myself last night .. and 15 seconds f/11 was still very bright at ISO 100. So I had to go to 15 seconds f/22 in some cases.

1. Great shot, great colors! Too bad of the boats though. Would have been great without them.
  2. Cool with the bridge adding depth to the shot.
  3. Of the pictures 3 and 4 I like 4 the most because of the difference in colors and more depth.
  4. Above
  5. Not the most interesting of the lot.
  6. Cool scary picture, which is nice in b&w.
  7. Great colors, composition and depth.
I like 4 and 7 the most.

#6 for me, just awesome.

the craziness in the lights is also very cool......

Most reactions

Back