lonely photographer?

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'm a newbe in some aspects of photography and I have a problem.
I don't want to go alone to take night photos, because I'm simply afraid. In my city it is quite dangerous, especially if I'm taking the whole accessories. Unfortunately I don't have any friends who enjoy taking photos - they are just bored with "my ideas" of "waiting for a moment".
Do you have a simmilar feeling? How do you cope with night photos?

Is it that bad in Poland? Maybe only take the basic equipment you need don't take a lot of stuff just one lens and camera and drive around until you see something that you think will look good. stop get out and shoot fairly quick then see how they look then you will know what to do and what not to do next time. or tell one of your friends you will buy them a beer afterwards that might make them be more willing to tag along.

I don't want to go alone to take night photos, because I'm simply afraid.

You're not alone in that regard. Like Bernie said, hire a friend if need be. I'm always shooting alone no matter where I am. Normally I'm out in the boonies shooting long exposures into the wee hours of the morning where the only thing I really worry about is stepping on a rattlesnake or startling a group of skunks. Tarantulas and scorpions can be a hazard too but you just have to remember to keep things zipped up and check your pack before you sling it over your shoulder.

In the city, I would definitley bring atleast one other person with me. Even at city parks, early in the night, I've been put on edge by certain people asking me how much my camera and other gear cost.

When I think of crime in Poland I remember the Gum Ball Rally documentary put on by the Jackass crew. They were diverted at the Poland boarder because a mafia gang had seized control of a town and not even the police or milittary was going in. Three of the Rally drivers went anyway and all three here hijacked, their whereabouts were not know for a couple of days before they turned up somewhere a few hundred miles away with nothing but themselves in only their underwear.

Not exactly an answer to your dilema but if you read the articles, tips/hints, and clues over at the thenocturnes you'll see you're not the only one. There are a few good stories in there about shooting at night.

Don't be afraid, just be smart...........

Yea, that could be a problem.And no way to take fast pics at night, hauling the tripod is a pain.
I am about to take some night pics, I think Ill go alone, but i will be on the lookout not only for good shots but for punks as well :lol:

Go for places where there are more ppl rather than dark corners.

What I try to do is drag my brother along with me when I go out taking long exposures at night. He's usually quite reluctant to do it, but eventually agrees. I would follow the advice of the other poster and offer to buy your friend a beer if he or she will be patient and bear with you while you take your photos. You might even get them interested if you let them take a few shots. I think it's easily worth it for the peace of mind and extra security it brings.

Hey, Poland can't be as bad as Detroit right?!

Well, try to get your friends into photography! It's not that hard, as photography is pretty addictive anyway:)

Join a photograph club to find like minded people. No clubs? Start one.
Good luck.

I don't mind going out by myself, I'm sure there are some bad parts here in Raleigh, but I don't let it worry me.
Maybe that's the wrong attitude...i dunno

Most reactions

Back