What's new

Loney RR tracks at Sunset C&C

Mirage_Man

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a shot I took tonight. I was driving along and just happened to glance over at a rail road track and this is what I saw. I couldn't help but stop and take a couple shots. This is the best of the bunch. BTW these are hand held with my D300 and a Nikon 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5G.

Please C&C. Thanks. Feel free to play with them if you like.

DSC_3936_rt_1024.jpg


Cropped.

DSC_3936_rt_cr_1024.jpg


These are clickable thumbs of larger images.
 
You seriously have a cool location to shoot, wow.
 
That is prime location for a shoot. Maybe tone the highlights down a little bit on the sky?
 
Ok OP I took another look at it and wished there was more pop to the rails so I edited where I took out some of the ambient spill on the side of the tracks adjusting the gammas. I also added a lens blur just my preference(slight orton). LOL I might've overkilled it but I just wanted to rails to stand out a bit more

3947249448_171bb8f75c_o.jpg
 
The composition of the cropped image is very nice. Unfortunately the sky is blown out.
 
Nice shots, Ive took several of tracks going off into the sunset, I just think its kind of creepy or mysterious.
 
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The composition of the cropped image is very nice. Unfortunately the sky is blown out.

I'm new to this game. Is there anyway to not blow out the sky and yet get a decent exposure of the rest of the scene? I did the best I could with my limited knowledge.
 
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The composition of the cropped image is very nice. Unfortunately the sky is blown out.

I'm new to this game. Is there anyway to not blow out the sky and yet get a decent exposure of the rest of the scene? I did the best I could with my limited knowledge.

you exposed it perfectly as far as i am concerned, HDR is the only way to expose shadow areas along with the sun your facing towards, if you did HDR in such an extreme case it would just look retarded.
 
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The composition of the cropped image is very nice. Unfortunately the sky is blown out.

I'm new to this game. Is there anyway to not blow out the sky and yet get a decent exposure of the rest of the scene? I did the best I could with my limited knowledge.

you exposed it perfectly as far as i am concerned, HDR is the only way to expose shadow areas along with the sun your facing towards, if you did HDR in such an extreme case it would just look retarded.

Please excuse my ignorance but what's HDR?
 
Thanks everyone for your comments.



I'm new to this game. Is there anyway to not blow out the sky and yet get a decent exposure of the rest of the scene? I did the best I could with my limited knowledge.

you exposed it perfectly as far as i am concerned, HDR is the only way to expose shadow areas along with the sun your facing towards, if you did HDR in such an extreme case it would just look retarded.

Please excuse my ignorance but what's HDR?
HDR stands for high dynamic range, its supposed to allow photographers to make a photograph show what our eyes actually see, but rarely do photographers get it right, they get carried away, the basics are, take 3-5 exposures, ranging from correct exposure of the shadows to correct exposure of the brightest highlights, they all must be taken at the exact same time to blend them all together seamlessly, you then blend them into one in photoshop and alter the histograms to make one picture with the information taken for all areas of the picture, more info can be had by a google search, seeing as how i have never done it.
 
Is there anyway to not blow out the sky and yet get a decent exposure of the rest of the scene? I did the best I could with my limited knowledge.

Well in this case I was really thinking about masking the sky out but it wouldn't make sense to have the sky correctly exposed where the rails are brighter. The sky has to match the exposure of the rails in order to look realistic so I left it as is.

Composition wise if I were to shoot this I would just concentrate the framing on the rails itself and the trees avoiding the sky in the shot if you could do it over again? I think that would look awesome. If ya can't duplicate the shot maybe some cropping from the top would do the trick.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom