Long Exposure Question

In checking my user's manual, I find that my camera has to be in "M" manual in order to find "bulb" in the shutter speed settings. Yours might be similar.

When all else fails, read the manual.
I can't believe that after 2 yrs with my camera, I still find new things in the manual!
Get the manual out. Get your camera, in hand and go step by step with manual. BULB mode took me a couple of tries the first time as I would miss a step, but FOLLOW the steps and you will get it.
We've all been there :)
Nancy

What is your ambient exposure? I won't assume it's night or dark overcast or etc...that ambient exposure determines what technique to apply. ;-)

Usually...

Attach Shutter release
Jump into M mode,
Set aperture
Move your shutter speed dial down to "B"
open a beer,
Wait...
Enjoy......
.................And post results..

Although shooting on Nikon it maybe different..

Note: I've never yet successfully captured lightening, every time I've setup, it's bloody sheet lightening..... Boooo

I went through my manual 3 times and checked online and I cannot find "BEER" mode ... :)

I went through my manual 3 times and checked online and I cannot find "BEER" mode ... :)

Ah, I think I see the problem.

It is THREE BEERS to one manual. Keep your proportions correct at all times.

You'll need to set exposure control to manual. Toggle thru shutter speeds to the slowest. B (bulb) should be last. Depending on how dark the sky is and how bright the lightning flashes are, I'd start at f5.6 & f8. Open the shutter & hold open til a strike. Close it & check. Adjust the f stop to get the right balance. You may also need to play with ISO. Keep that as low as possible to avoid too bright a sky & reduce noise. The lightning will give enough light to add detail to the clouds & ground in many cases. Its pretty much trial & error, but this should give you a starting place. Good luck.
BTW, too wide an aperture will leave the lightning bolts looking soft & out of focus. And focus at infinity.

You'll need to set exposure control to manual. Toggle thru shutter speeds to the slowest. B (bulb) should be last. Depending on how dark the sky is and how bright the lightning flashes are, I'd start at f5.6 & f8. Open the shutter & hold open til a strike. Close it & check. Adjust the f stop to get the right balance. You may also need to play with ISO. Keep that as low as possible to avoid too bright a sky & reduce noise. The lightning will give enough light to add detail to the clouds & ground in many cases. Its pretty much trial & error, but this should give you a starting place. Good luck.
BTW, too wide an aperture will leave the lightning bolts looking soft & out of focus. And focus at infinity.

Or close to infinity. Sometimes infinity focus (lens dependent) can be too far, and nothing will be properly focused.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need to set exposure control to manual. Toggle thru shutter speeds to the slowest. B (bulb) should be last.

On canons bulb is a seperate shooting mode, ie. you have P, Av, Tv, M and B for bulb.

You'll need to set exposure control to manual. Toggle thru shutter speeds to the slowest. B (bulb) should be last.

On canons bulb is a seperate shooting mode, ie. you have P, Av, Tv, M and B for bulb.

Not on the T3, which I have as well as the OP. You have to be in M, then dial shutter down to the slowest speed, then one more is Bulb.

This is how I shoot fireworks but haven't had a chance at lightning yet. Our storms have all been in daylight this summer.

My Nikon when set to Manual lists TIME, BULB, 30", 25" and just keeps going up to 1/4000. Your Canon most likely has something similar.
I'd try BULB with the shutter OPEN and the lens stopped down to get max DOF and also try it with the lens wide open to get max light.
Key to this seems to be the light in the area of the camera. If you can find a really dark spot to set up it'll make it work better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back