danicali

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I have a question about long exposures in darker settings. We've been having some fantastic thunder storms here in Colorado and they're producing some amazing lightning. I'm having trouble capturing it. I've heard about using long exposures, but I'm not sure this is the right thing to capture the lightening. What are your suggestions? Thanks!

Post a sample or two of what you consider a failure. This way we can see what you're referring to and will be better able to help.

I've heard about using long exposures, but I'm not sure this is the right thing to capture the lightening.

Yeah, I think that is what most photographers would do.

Just aim it toward where most of the lightning seems to be happening and open the shutter.

When a bolt strikes, close the shutter.

Repeat.

The few times I have shot lightning, I did like 20-30 second exposures and just kept shooting. I got several keepers both times.

My next question would be, how do I set a long exposure? I have a Canon T3, a tripod, and a remote shutter release.

Usually...

Attach Shutter release
Jump into M mode,
Set aperture
Move your shutter speed dial down to "B"
open a beer,
Wait...
Enjoy......
.................And post results..

Although shooting on Nikon it maybe different..

Note: I've never yet successfully captured lightening, every time I've setup, it's bloody sheet lightening..... Boooo

Last edited:
No set time. Use BULB to hold the shutter open until you get a strike or two.

Usually...

Attach Shutter release
Jump into M mode,
Set aperture
Move your shutter speed dial down to "B"
open a beer,
Wait...
Enjoy......
.................And post results..

Although shooting on Nikon it maybe different..

Note: I've never yet successfully captured lightening, every time I've setup, it's bloody sheet lightening..... Boooo

What should the aperture be set to? I'm also confused as to what you mean by "Move your shutter speed dial down to 'B'".

Sorry for the many questions!

What should the aperture be set to? I'm also confused as to what you mean by "Move your shutter speed dial down to 'B'".

B is for BULB... the shutter stays open for as long as you hold it open.

B is for BULB... the shutter stays open for as long as you hold it open.

I'm not sure of how to set that on my camera...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back