Long time reader - first image for c and c

everett31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I've been reading the board here for a while and I'm learning a lot. This is the first picture I haven't ripped apart myself, so didn't really have anything to post. The only thing I can come up with is maybe a little over exposed. It's a candid shot taken while playing. I'm thick skinned and here to learn, so rip away.

Everett

DSC0388b68-M.jpg

There isn't anything particularly bad about it. It's in focus. Exposure is close. Eyes are sharp and aproximately at the top 'third' line. It's lit.

To take it to the next level, IMO, requires a bit more thought in lighting. Judging by the shadows(or more particularly, the lack of shadows), it was a heavily overcast day? That can be a photographer's dream shooting conditions, but you still need(IMO) a ratio to give the image depth. This can be done with a reflector on one side(doesn't have to be a photographic reflector, it can be a building, a white van, or just about anything that will thow light back into the subject. It can also be done in the opposite manner, by using subtractive lighting. A black object to one side will minimize reflections and also create a ratio.

Another thing to note is your shooting position. All too often we see images of children taken from above. Try different angles. Get down on their level or even below. It can change the entire 'feel' of a shot. Also, consider taking images like this in a portrait orientation unless there is something in the background that particularly adds to the photo.

Good luck. Looks like you're off to a good start.

Last edited:
Great color, good composition, lighting is nice. I don't think it's over exposed but some may disagree.

not much to say -- all in all it's a good shot.

Thanks Kerbouchard, ordered a reflector earlier today. Looking forward to seeing the difference it can make.

Shoot it with faster shutter next time. 1/30 with 55mm is a really low shutter. This photo looks pretty sharp though. If you shoot with this setting, more than likely it will be soft due to camera shake or subject moving. Use higher ISO, shoot when it is brighter outside, or buy a faster lens.

Here's what I would do: I would crop out extraneous material and make sure the left eye is at a junction of the "Rule of Thirds", then I would monkey around with the white balance and take out some of the red, then I would burn in some shadow details to give the face a sense of depth...since I'm not a photo editor for an a big magazine but just a puter geek, here is what I came up with for an edit:

6678779169_a9376f4929_z.jpg

My eyes were drawn right to hers, and that's what you want. That one to one connectivity. I compared your pic to the edited one by agentDex, and I like yours much better. The facal tones are much more natural. In the edit she's just too bluish on my screen. But coming in closer seems to add just a touch more. Still a great portrait. Getting down to her level really helped with that eye contact.

I'm getting a slightly greenish look on my end...but yea...maybe I shoulda stuck with just the crop...the original seemed too red to me...now mine looks too not enough red

Here is the cropped version before I messed around with the colors and burning:

6679243481_a68846dfd8_z.jpg

Reflectors are not very effective when it is overcast.

If it is overcast I would recommend using an off camera light source instead,like strobe light from an off camera flash unit.

An additional benefit from using strobed light, is the ability to control theambient light exposure separately from the strobed light exposure. That allows you to better control the separation of your subject from the background by using a lighting ratio to get your subject to really 'pop' .

I dont' think it is over exposed. I like the detail in the eyes. I would agree with the shutter speed comment made previously that 1/30 is dangerously low handheld for soft images. However you pulled it off. Something about the image cutting through the forehead bothers me a little. Also, the magenta in her jacket seems over-saturated. Overall it is a good picture and not a whole lot bad to say about it.

If it is overcast I would recommend using an off camera light source instead,like strobe light from an off camera flash unit.

An additional benefit from using strobed light, is the ability to control theambient light exposure separately from the strobed light exposure. That allows you to better control the separation of your subject from the background by using a lighting ratio to get your subject to really 'pop' .

That is why I also mentioned subtractive lighting(i.e, using the black part of a 5 in 1 reflector to block reflections from one side.)

As far as the effectiveness of the reflector, I guess it depends on what you are going for. In a case like this, I wouldn't be looking for a large ratio. Just something subtle. An adult would/may be a different story.

Shoot it with faster shutter next time. 1/30 with 55mm is a really low shutter. This photo looks pretty sharp though. If you shoot with this setting, more than likely it will be soft due to camera shake or subject moving. Use higher ISO, shoot when it is brighter outside, or buy a faster lens.

I agree, I think I was very lucky to get this shot. I switched to a higher ISO a few shots later but should've caught it sooner (newbie).

That is why I also mentioned subtractive lighting(i.e, using the black part of a 5 in 1 reflector to block reflections from one side.)

As far as the effectiveness of the reflector, I guess it depends on what you are going for. In a case like this, I wouldn't be looking for a large ratio. Just something subtle. An adult would/may be a different story.

I'm just starting to get into lighting but I'm looking forward to adding a new level to my photos. With this being a very candid shot, I'm not sure I could've used off camera lighting. She was playing; I followed her ( very crouched walk ) and captured her just after she turned around.

Would you have someone try to follow with a reflector or try to work inside of a pre staged area with off camera lighting? Thanks for any advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back