What's new

looked nice thew my viewfinder.

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
770
Location
Akron Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
than I view the image on my screen and I don't care for it.

not sure if it was just bad lightning or what bout it seems to happen often, It looks so nice when I am looking thew the viewfinder and than i get it on the computer screen and I do not care for it. does this happen to everyone. Am I just being too picky ?

here are a few pics where that was the case.

DSC_3179.webp
DSC_3188.webp
DSC_3225.webp
 
Last edited:
For what it's worth, I quite like the first and last ones.

This happens to me ALL the time. Part of it is that the screen is just too jammin' small to really "SEE" what you've captured. This happens to me, for some reason, primarily with birds or landscapes. With birds, it's often because they look nice and sharp on the little itty bitty viewfinder, but then I see them on the computer and just want to bin them.

The other reason is because what you're viewing on the camera screen is a jpeg rendering, whether you are shooting in raw or not. I shoot raw and so sometimes I see the jpg version on the screen and think I've nailed the colors, sharpness, etc. but then my own processing on the raw just never manages to quite "get there."
 
I wear blue blocker sunglasses when driving. Landscapes almost always look awesome, until I take my glasses off!

Add a bit more saturation just to the trees, see if it helps.
 
Much more saturation to the trees and they kind of started to loose detail and look blended together. I did not spend much time editing those. I did lower the green saturation on the last one because the green was way to bright.

I don't exactly think these are bad but I don't think they are that great either but they did look much better thew the view finder lol.
 
I actually like #1 and #2 and feel with the right processing they both can be really good.

Sharon just gave me the idea as I too hate when the jpeg review is much better than my raw image.

Maybe shoot 1 raw and 1 jpeg of the same scene. Then try to manipulate the raw file to mirror the jpeg. Never thought of it or even heard of it, but it could be a nice way of learning to post process.

On second look #2, I would like to see more of the darker red leaves in the tree on the left and maybe less of the tree on the right (change the angle a bit).
 
I have just been shooting RAW and than exporting the file to jpeg. I guess Ill switch to RAW+Jpeg and than check both files out and see if I notice much of a difference in the 2 files, Ill try that next time I go shooting.

I did not do much processing at all, just a really quick job so they looked descent.

for number 2 i kind of centered the lowest point of the tree tops because that looked better in my view finder.

I am pretty sure number 1 and number 2 were the same shot, one was zoomed in more than the other, there was only a small spot of red leafs over to the left hand side.
 
Just print them real tiny. :biglaugh:

I like one and three.
 
I fixed the first one up a bit, I used a few brushes. looks a bit better.
DSC_3179-3.webp
 
and the last one, that's the best i could get them. no matter what i do tings either seem to bright or too dark on this one.

DSC_3225-3.webp
 
That happens to me all the time, look through the view finder, scene looks gorgeous, I snap away and even when I review on camera screen it looks great. Then when I upload the photo to computer it look mediocre. But I get the appeal back for the image once I do some moderate post processing. So for me... post processing is the fix. I tend to find that the viewfinder shows things much more contrasty then the camera captures.
 
yeah, I am not having much luck editing these ones in lightroom. cant seem to get anything I like out of them.
 
well I think i got it a bit more natural looking, took allot of tone curves, hue, luminescence adjustments and what not. but I got a image that looks pretty good.
DSC_3225-006.webp
.
 
The problem I have with shooting both is that the camera applies settings to create the JPEG so it will always be different than the RAW image. The problem works both ways. Sometimes the result is better and sometimes worse. I just shoot lots and sort it out LR but only in RAW.
 
Tip: Before doing all sort color adjustments, adjust the white balance. Try to look at both the temperature and tint, and see if the camera got it wrong. It often does, and correcting this can do wonders for your photos. Then do the base curve. After this, have fun with everything else, but do the basic adjustments first.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom