Looking Back

Dave_D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Where has photography taken you over the last year? Exotic places, the studio, the backyard? Who has gone from film to digital or digital back to film? What's next? Just curious:D

Interesting question. I have bought a AF film camera, with auto film advance. I found that no matter what the quality of a camera is, I still miss flipping a lever to advance the film and find myself using my F2 or F3 more. The irony in that is, they both have motordrives on them. I have started to use more black and white film over color. I guess I am a backwards kind of person. The AF is a F4s, which I do use occaisionally for people kind of work. Maybe I will get a digital someday.........

I've gone totally digital. Sold my last film camera start of last year. Reason getting old and can't cope with the darkroom stuff any longer. My computers my dark room now and its a lot better than standing for hours in the dark. Also means you can walk away in the middle of processing and not spoil what you are working on. OK it's not the same I know, but at some time in life you have to adapt or give up photography. I've been involved in photography for 52 years and will probably die with a camera in my hand. I can see my gravestone inscribed "HIS LAST SHOT."

I've changed from getting it all right in camera on film to getting dev + CD in colour and changing it to B&W in PS and then printing the files myself. I'm getting a digital camera in a couple of days, but I'm really not sure whether I'm gonna like it.

Rob

good question, i bought my first camera almost a year ago, since then i've been obsessed with it and videography/visual art alltogether, i changed majors, now i'm an art major, taking a photography class in college, a photojournalist for the college newspaper, i've taken photos on Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia, dabbled in high-color film, spent a lot of time in B&W and have my own personal darkroom, bought another lens and a bunch of filters for the enlarger and my camera, worked hard on getting in-camera work perfectly done (to an extent) while i still haven't really delved into changing developing times on B&W film, in videography/videomaking i've made 4 short films, been offered $4000 to produce 4 small documentary videos for a company, and just recently been offered a chance to join a group going to Thailand to produce a documentary there coming this March

wonder what this next year is going to be like

well its tough to follow panzershreck's year, but mine has been quite full also. iguess at the beginning of 05 got back into photography, with one class at school, and i too then changed my major, then decided my current college would be inadequate, and im transferring to the art institute in a couple of months now, ive also bought my first fully manual camera(my pentax, i had a nikon n65 before, but i much prefer the km) and my first medium format camera, and my first dslr, ive also gone from taking pictures of inanimate objects only, to people and other things as well.

this next year will be my introduction to commercial photography, photojournalism, and REAL portraiture, and starting at the art institute(which has also had many changes in my personal life, like moving from a dorm to an apartment etc).

It has brought me out into social situations, which I've enjoyed. I got to photograph some bands and people recognise my name now :thumbup:

Bleh. I've done very little in the past year, and I've found that what I've done in the past isn't holding my attention any more. I want to do work that has a more conscious effort behind style than what I've been doing. I like where I've been heading, but I want to take it further. I just need to get off my butt and do it.

Mark, Same boat here. I've been shooting 35mm for about 20 years now and then finally moved into medium format about 6 years ago along with some classes in studio portraiture, but it hasn't held my attention too long. I still do like medium format for outdoors more than 35mm and plan to do more of it. However, for the more "conscious effort" (well put by the way) I have moved on to large format. It definitely offers more in picture quality and style options with camera movement rather then the fixed plain between the lens and film as with all other cameras. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a more serious digital camera, but I feel it will cause me to take the nuances of photography for granted. I wouldn't label myself "anti-digital" for how I feel about it, I prefer to say "non-digital" as I'm sure that by the time I'm 90 it will be the only choice and I'll have to switch.

Most reactions

Back