Looking for a 35mm range finder

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Like the title says. I'm after something leica like, but without the leica price tag. Something with manual controls that also has a meter. It does not need to have interchangeable lenses. But a fast lens would be nice.

Any recommendations?

Perfect, that whole kit right there is a nice set-up. Absolutely fits domromer's description, too.

Agreed.... The quality of the Voigtlander bodies are good and their lenses are great! The selection of lenses is awsome.. think Zeiss, Voigtlander, Leica.

R4A is a good choice if you want to shoot wide angles
R2A is a good choice if you want to shoot longer
R3A is a good choice if you want a 1:1 viewfinder (shoot with both eyes open) which makes it a wonderful street shooter.

For extremely low light shooting, check out the 28mm f1.9 Ultron (albeit mine is a little soft wide open) and/or 35 f1.2 Nokton (wonderful lens in general).

For street, I'd choose the R3A+40 f1.4 Nokton+50 f2 Collapsable Heliar +90 Lanther.

For B&W, check out some the old 50s Leica screwmounts (you need to add adapters to M-mount). Nice "vintage" look with lower contrast.

If you want you want fixed lens at bargain basement prices, I choose this Canonet:

96607402.jpg

you'll need to find a battery (original mercury is banned in the US, see www.photobattery.com) and more than likely replace the foam seals in the back film door. It is an easy DIY project (see http://www.cameraseals.net). They go for about 50 bucks in various places including ebay. If you find one that comes with an operational Canolite D flash, get it. The flash is difficult to find and is designed to meter specifically for the Canonet.

:thumbup: to the Canonet QL17 -f1.7 40mm-, the QL 19 has an f1.9 lens I think.

It's a Very quiet camera that will fit in the pocket of a coat. I found one at a yard sale for $10. Not so much on the 'cool what's that' though. ;)

Wow those are beautiful! A little bit out of my price range though. I'm looking to spend less the $100 on ebay.

True they're still kinda pricy, but compared to Leicas they're "cheap".

I was looking at the Canonet usayit mentioned on ebay awhile back, there seem to be a few around.

I never understood why Voightlander called any of the rangefinders R, simply because they're generally modeled after Leica, who uses R for the SLR's.

How about the Olympus XA. It has a nice 35mm 2.8 lens. It is a true rangefinder. It has automatic exposure with exposure compensation. And it is very small. It will easily fit in your shirt pocket. And they are cheap. You can usually find them on ebay for under 100.00 in excellent condition.

I had one of these for years and years. They are really nice cameras.

It is too bad you cannot afford the Bessas. I shot an R2 and an R3A for a number of years and they are really nice as well.

Well, it looks like i'm going to be a Canonet QL17 owner.. I bid $45 for one on ebay and let it ride, sure that i'd be outbid, but i ended up winning.. so that's cool.

Congrats...

Thats generally the best way to bid on ebay. Think of the max you wanna pay, put in a bid, and let it ride without looking. Most of the time you will loose, but you can walk away knowing that you didn't get involved in a bidding war and over paying. If you do win, then you got a good deal.

Congrats...

Thats generally the best way to bid on ebay. Think of the max you wanna pay, put in a bid, and let it ride without looking. Most of the time you will loose, but you can walk away knowing that you didn't get involved in a bidding war and over paying. If you do win, then you got a good deal.

Yep, I was just telling my coworker that the other day when she got caught up in a bidding war herself.

Congrats...

Where's the fun in that?

I usually wait until the last second then put in my first and only bid, which is also the max I'm willing to pay. I've won a lot of auctions that way.

The difference is that I have better things to do with my time than hit refresh and snipe.

If you snipe at your max... then why not just initially enter your max and continue with your life?

Most reactions

Back