Looking for a 35mm range finder

The difference is that I have better things to do with my time than hit refresh and snipe.

If you snipe at your max... then why not just initially enter your max and continue with your life?

It's a simple form of entertainment. And cheaper than a lot of things I've done in the past for fun. And if I win, I have something to show for it.

Ah.. ok.. get it.

I'm in a completely different camp. I wouldn't mind ebay actually making all auctions "true-auctions" as what we generally would expect. .. ie incorporate the concept of "going once".. "going twice".. SOLD. As long as bidding is actively being submitted the item should continue. In order for the auction to end with the final bid, no bids of higher value should be submitted for a predetermined amount of time.

This helps bidders not get over bid by snipers by 1 cent...
This helps sellers keep the bidding war going longer for max profit...
This would make early bidding actually mean something...

For example... I'm at dinner with my family at a restaurant. My phone notifies me that I've been over bid just 1 minute prior to the end. I will have (letsay) 10 minutes to excuse myself from the table, go outside, login and submit another high bid. At the time my higher bid is accepted, the 10 minute counter starts over and everyone interested has 10 minutes to beat my bid. This keeps going until the final bid is submitted and no one bids within the 10 minute count down. This would keep the bidding of the item alive rather than abruptly ending it at some time period.

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with ebay. I have been using it for years, and have even sold stuff myself, and I like that I can find stuff on there that I might not be able to get locally. (case in point, the Canonet i just got). But I really hate having to compete to get it. I just want to buy it, and when I have the 'buy it now' option, I use it if the price is reasonable. The whole bidding/auction part of it is not entertaining in the least to me. In fact, depending on the item.. it can really piss me off.

Sniping, I didn't know there was a word for it. I call it getting the last bid in. If you really want something bidding and walking away is not the way to get it. If I'm bidding on something then I really want it. I don't see it how "sniping" can be seen as negative. if you want to be lazy about your bids you should just look for buy it now and not bother with auctions.

I tend to wait until the last minute and avoid the 'wars'. If I really want the item I'll place a max bid at the end of the auction- trying to save some money is the reason I shop on e-bay, there are any number of places I could pay retail.

For instance, I was looking for a Tokina 28-80mm AT-X Pro and found one in Japan new in the box for $595 + shipping. I found one on e-bay and bid at the last second (I bid up even more than the new price because of the attachments to the lens) and got what's supposed to be a practically new one. With the money I saved I was able to get 2 Sandisk Extreme 3 4gs (after rebate) and a tank of gas. :)

mike

oh, by the way, the attachment to the lens was a new in the box D100 and I just HAD to have an IR filter for that so I didn't come out quite so good but still... ;)

if you want to be lazy about your bids you should just look for buy it now and not bother with auctions.

(i know you might not've been talking to me directly, but.. ) well yeah.. generally i try to.. i wouldn't call it laziness though. I have been outbid at the last second more than i've won.. so i think bitterness is a better word.

Success in sniping probably goes down to who's got the fastest page refresh.

If there's something I REALLY want, i'll watch it and have a battle.. but I was more or less talking about something that i don't necessarily have to have. If I put the absolute maxiumum i'm willing to pay, then if i get outbid, then that's fine.. i didn't want to pay more anyway. If I win, cool beans.

If you really want something bidding and walking away is not the way to get it. If I'm bidding on something then I really want it. I don't see it how "sniping" can be seen as negative. if you want to be lazy about your bids you should just look for buy it now and not bother with auctions.

You have it all wrong... The idea is to bid the MAX you are willing to pay and let the system take care of it. If I don't win... there are more items to bid on in the future. I never get into bidding wars and NEVER pay more than I'm willing.. not one cent. I go to ebay with the intention of finding things dirt cheap. If I wanted to purchase something that approaches retail, I'll do business with my favorite local camera shop... they treat me right.

People don't understand this and they think I"m being lazy. Nope.. I see it as snipers just don't have anything better to do... Me... I've got pictures to take and process.. Family to be with... and multiple contracts to juggle (and get very well paid)

So yes.. .I take offense to people who call me lazy from looking at me through a tiny hole in the wall.

and no... buy it nows are essentially asking retail.. so I would rather deal locally.

The reason why I would rather have ebay move all of its auctions to more traditional style (see post above) is because I've been on the seller side just as much as the buyers side. As a seller, I'd like to stretch that late bidding war for as long as bids keep coming in. Me 2... love/hate ebay. Been burned a couple times...

To each their own. I'll continue sniping and winning auctions.

I'm calling you lazy based on what you've said here.

You bid once, loose, then complain that the system sucks.

Then to go on and say how busy and well paid you are...what does have to do with anything. Who cares?

How about you point out where the I say the system sucks.

I just said that I wish it were implemented differently for the benefit of both parties.

I'm calling you lazy based on what you've said here.

hehehe lol... and am I suppose to assume (I don't) you are poor because you don't want to spend on a Leica?

How about you point out where the I say the system sucks.

I just said that I wish it were implemented differently for the benefit of both parties.

hehehe lol... and am I suppose to assume (I don't) you are poor because you don't want to spend on a Leica?

No, I'm real poor. I can't even afford a new camera. I gotta buy ones that are 58 years old.

Domromer, I think that you will be very happy with the Canon. The 40mm works out very well for street shooting (fairly wide and yet long enough to give separation when needed) and is sharp. Plus the f1.7 gives good bokeh!

$45 is a pretty good price, too.

So, is that your TLR you're using as an avatar?

Domromer, I think that you will be very happy with the Canon. The 40mm works out very well for street shooting (fairly wide and yet long enough to give separation when needed) and is sharp. Plus the f1.7 gives good bokeh!

I think that's me you're talking about.. heh..;)

So, is that your TLR you're using as an avatar?

Yes. Thats my Rolleicord.

How about the Olympus XA. It has a nice 35mm 2.8 lens. It is a true rangefinder. It has automatic exposure with exposure compensation. And it is very small. It will easily fit in your shirt pocket. And they are cheap. You can usually find them on ebay for under 100.00 in excellent condition.

I had one of these for years and years. They are really nice cameras.

It is too bad you cannot afford the Bessas. I shot an R2 and an R3A for a number of years and they are really nice as well.

Ended up getting an XA. I'll get the first set of chromes back tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back