Looking for a 35mm range finder

Crap, I didn't know I posted those here.

It's a Epson v500.

The weird thing is when I try to sharpen scans at 4000dpi it's almost impossible to get them real sharp. When I resized for web I could get them nice and crisp. I don't know what the deal is. Maybe big files need more sharpening than much smaller files. That doesn't seem to make sense though.

I really bought it to scan my MF stuff. It does that quite well. You can see them on my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsrphotography/collections/72157604214685082/

Crap, I didn't know I posted those here.

It's a Epson v500.

The weird thing is when I try to sharpen scans at 4000dpi it's almost impossible to get them real sharp.

I use the V700 and I'm assuming that the v500 uses the similar carriers.. I had to spend some time tweaking the film carriers (height adjustment) to get sharp images. The carriers out of the box were not optimal. I've also been meaning to just replace the carriers all together:

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/v500.html

Sharpness is not a sole function of resolution. 4000dpi in fact is overkill for most use. I've got my V700 setup to rival most images out of my DSLR

When I resized for web I could get them nice and crisp. I don't know what the deal is. Maybe big files need more sharpening than much smaller files. That doesn't seem to make sense though.

You are right... and it does make absolute sense. enlargements will need be sharper. Viewing distance is also a factor on sharpness. A not so sharp poster print will seem sharp at a distance but noticeable once you view it from a foot away. Ever notice how images seem sharper on the small LCD screen on the back ofyour Digital and not so sharp blown up on your computer display? Billboards are good examples if you ever get a chance to walk up to one and see it up close.

When printing (ink jet), I am a little more aggressive with unsharpen mask for large prints and less so for smaller. For me at least... it is a bit trial and error.

Our concept of sharpness is in part an optical illusion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back