Looking for a beginner bridge camera

Adsy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I'm a very amateur photographer and i'm looking for a bridge camera with decent zoom (preferably 30x or more) and MUST have a lithium-ion battery as I don't want to faf about with AA batteries.

Also the smaller the better, I don't want big and chunky and I know the bridge camera's can be a bit bulky.

I was looking at the Nikon P100 as it seemed quite small for a bridge.

My price range is around £150 but willing to push a bit more if it's worth it

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Hey everyone!

I'm a very amateur photographer and i'm looking for a bridge camera with decent zoom (preferably 30x or more) and MUST have a lithium-ion battery as I don't want to faf about with AA batteries.

Also the smaller the better, I don't want big and chunky and I know the bridge camera's can be a bit bulky.

I was looking at the Nikon P100 as it seemed quite small for a bridge.

My price range is around £150 but willing to push a bit more if it's worth it

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

One problem with asking for suggested models will be you tend to get recommendations of gear someone owns or would like to own. Not always the most helpful way to get recommendations.

For example, I just purchased a Canon SX50 through Canon Direct at their refurbished price. Came with full factory warranty and sold for $199.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Refurbished Canon Online Store

Canon SX50 Bird Wildlife Photos Photography Forum

If you wanted, I could tell you exactly why I purchased THAT camera but I doubt it would be very helpful to you.

For the price of the refurbished SX50, though, it is clearly a favorite for birding/wildlife/macro photography; Best Superzoom 2014 Eight competitors 2.5 clear winners

The term "bridge camera" covers a lot of ground nowdays. Here's another thread which began as a discussion of compact/bridge/DSLR options; Will resolution always win Photography Forum

I would suggest you establish some priorities for the purchase. How will you use the camera? Do you see yourself having a preference for the type of photography you will be involved in? Landscapes require a somewhat different approach and equipment than will, say, portraiture or candid shots. Macro is an entirely different world than sports and action. With reduced cost comes reduced flexibility and some cameras will simply be better choices for certain types of use when the budget is tight and the lens is fixed to the camera (as opposed to interchangeable lenses on a DSLR).

Then prioritize the features you feel would be beneficial. Do you want to shoot and store your work in Jpeg or RAW format? Most cameras in your stated price range only offer Jpeg which is fine for many uses but doesn't offer the flexibility of RAW. Will you be taking your photos mostly indoors, outside or in low light? Indoor and low light photography is a bit tougher to accomplish with a less expensive bridge camera. Would you want a camera that can grow as you extend your capabilities? Then you might want a hot shoe for an external flash. Full landscapes require no flash since there isn't a flash that is useful in the wide open spaces. Unless, that is, you might be up close and personal with a subject and the landscape is simply a blurred background.

Do you want or need extras like WiFi connectivity? Do you intend to do a lot of sharing of your photos on social media? Do you want to spend your time in front of a computer "fixing" your shots? Or, do you want to have a more or less finished image when you connect your camera to a computer for viewing?

You need to determine what you will want, what you don't truly require and what you can get or give up around your price range. Beyond that, the number of possible cameras is very high and even more so if you look at the pre-owned or refurbished pieces. Once you have a short list of what features and performance you need, you can begin to narrow the field of possible contenders. Then, quite literally, you begin to read. Most reviews will have some alternatives mentioned for comparison's sake. See where your research takes you. Once you have it down to a few cameras, IMO, you should look at each camera's owner's manual on line. Look at how the camera operates and if the menus seem to make sense to you. Doing this should take away another one or two cameras. Finally, go out and try out the cameras. You need to be comfortable with how the camera handles and how easily or impossible it is to make on the fly adjustments.

Then remember there isn't a perfect camera for all things. And there will remain two or even three strong contenders. Once you've worked with the camera in a shop, make your decision and don't second guess yourself. You have what you have at that point and you can learn a lot with even the most basic camera.

Check out the local independent camera shops in your neighborhood. They will typically have the most knowledgeable staff where the big boxes will have people passing through till lunch. You'll want some after the sale service to assist you so go with the person who gives the most caring approach to a sale. It's always helpful to shop at slow times of the week and day. On a busy Saturday, most shops simply can't spend time to really educate a potential buyer. Try shopping early on a weekday or mid afternoon. There will be a lot of tire kickers at those other times.

Most locals will work with you on price if they can. You simply need to ask and possibly show a lower cost from a reputable source elsewhere. A price that is listed as "not in stock" doesn't mean anything. When I was selling I always had anything "not in stock" on a heck of a sale! Local shops - called "brick and mortar dealerships" - do have costs of their own to cover and they aren't going to fully compete with the guy selling things out of his garage who never expects to hear from you again. If someone gives you good service, it's worth your while to give them the sale.

Most reactions

Back