Looking for a camera bag

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am looking for a decent size camera to house all my gear. I currently have a Lowepro Flipside 300 that has been working fairly well..but its getting tight and I normally have to leave a lens or two out. It also doesn't leave me any room for flashes or much any other accessories.

So I need a bag to fit my D610, 24-85, 35 f/2, 50 1.8, 70-300, 105 2.8 and I also need to make sure i have enough room for a flash and an additional lens. I would to also have room for my video recording stuff like a couple mics, (zoom h1 and a lav mic) tripod mounts, batteries, straps, etc..

Been searching around, can't seem to find a bag that I like. The best I've came up with is a Tamrac Pro 12 but I guess they don't make it anymore? I don't know.

I'd like to keep the price under $200 if possible.

Thanks!

I have a Tamrac roller, it will fit that stuff. But for the best price then look for used cases. I also have a Storm Case im2720 and that is really nice to use to take to a location. Mine came with foam, but if you get the padded dividers it will hold more. Have had that for over 10 years and they sent new wheel sets one time when mine wore out. I think they run for around $200 now.

I found a Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 on eBay for $120 used but never was taken outside..just used for storage..looks practically brand new. Its tempting.

Have you looked at the Lowepro Flipside 400aw or 500aw? I have the 400 and I can load it down pretty well.

In mine I have:
D7000 with battery grip
70-200 2.8
18-105
50mm
GoPro will all the accessories
SB-910 in it's case
SB-600
3 radio poppers
RF remote (trans and rev)
2 HD's
Camera charger and all cables
Umbrella adapter
Multiple filters
RP RS strap
Got some magazines and a few dvd's in there too and still have some room. I could still put a couple more lenses in there if I took the SB-910 case out and the boxes for the radio poppers.

Have you looked at the Lowepro Flipside 400aw or 500aw? I have the 400 and I can load it down pretty well.

In mine I have:
D7000 with battery grip
70-200 2.8
18-105
50mm
GoPro will all the accessories
SB-910 in it's case
SB-600
3 radio poppers
RF remote (trans and rev)
2 HD's
Camera charger and all cables
Umbrella adapter
Multiple filters
RP RS strap
Got some magazines and a few dvd's in there too and still have some room. I could still put a couple more lenses in there if I took the SB-910 case out and the boxes for the radio poppers.

Yes I have and while its a good bag, I don't like all the straps on it.

Bags are personal items, so it's tricky to recommend one, and very tough to evaluate one unless you can get to a store to see one, or be allowed to handle one that another shooter has, so you can really,truly see how it feels, how it rides, and so on. Buying a camera bag or backpack is one of those times when a big, honkin', well-stocked camera store is your BFF.

If you want something that will be comfortable over long periods of time spend the extra cash.

I went with the Think Tank Streetwalker. Couldn't be happier. 12 hours walking around disney world was no problem.

I've been searching all day..I cannot find a bag that I like. They are either too big, not in stock, discontinued or too expensive. Not sure what I'm going to do. My favorite one so far is the Tamrac Pro 12, but that is a quite bigger than I really need. I don't have a TON of gear. But I got some and plan on adding another prime and a sb700.

A lot of bags have spots for laptops and or tablets..but I don't have any of those and therefore its a waste of valuable space. Sure I could shove a reflector in there..but I don't have one of them either lol.

I've a big Stealth-Reporter bag and my view is that they are great; well made and you can put a lot of stuff into them; esp if you have a scarf or something to wrap things in so that you can pack smaller things ontop of each other and around each other.

Thing is its a great bag if I go to the zoo or I go to do showjumping - where I'm basically in one spot or hanging around a small area for a prolonged period of time (and where its not so busy that I have to worry about keeping a fixed eye on the bag the whole time). It puts all the weight low-ish on one shoulder only - that's ok for short travel distances; but I would never make it my bag of choice for heavy kit on a long trip - just far too much weight on one side.

For travel and heavier/larger kits a regular backpack with padded waistband (padding is important, my Mini-trekker* has no padding and unless I'm wearing thick clothing I don't find the waistband of any use) becomes a much better choice as it distributes the weight more evenly around your body. Yes its slower to get in and out of; but chances are if you're travelling A to B you won't be doing as much shooting as you are walking.

Flipside bags are interesting as they let you access from the back not the front; so that keeps the part against your back always clean. I've seen some people swing the bag around themselves on the waist band to get access inside without taking it off; but it always looked more effort, trouble and only any good with light gear to do that).

Single strap backpacks are useless for heavier weight - again just like a shoulder bag its all weight on one side which you don't want unless you're carrying a light kit.

But yes bags are a personal choice - go to the store and find what really fits you gear( take your gear with you).

Note - one of the most freeing things I learned was the time when I chose to leave kit behind. It's VERY tempting to want to take one of everything for every single chance shot. In my experience on those days I end up carrying a LOT of weight and taking shots with only a tiny fraction of it. By all means a little variety is good; but in general I would say that sometimes less is more unless you're going on a trip or you've got a very strong plan in your mind as to what you are going to need each bit of kit for to get the shot(s) you want.

*which I otherwise find to be a fantastic and versatile bag

I really just want a bag to store my gear in, I don't actually plan on using it for travel..that's if I traveled. Haha. I mean right now I don't have a choice but to leave my camera on my desk because my Flipside 300 is packed with lenses..I don't have any room for additional glass or a flash. One thing I hate about my Flipside 300 is that the flap doesn't open up all the way so you have use one hand to hold it open while you get your stuff out.

Maybe I'll have to divide my gear up in separate bags. But I'd rather keep everything together. Maybe I'll just go for the Tamrac Pro 12..even though I don't have a second camera, at least it has room for it.

Any opinions on Domke bags? Some of them seem pretty nice, but don't offer much protection.

nerwin said:
Any opinions on Domke bags? Some of them seem pretty nice, but don't offer much protection.

I've had a Domke messenger-style bag for 15 years...well-made canvas material, good straps, holds a lot but not well-padded at all...in fact NO padding of any kind really. I typically carry a full-sized body in it, a half-height grip-less backup body,Nikon flash, TTL remote cord, a set of five extra AA batteries for the flash, either an 80-200 or my 70-200/2.8, 24/50/85, and a couple other smallish lenses, as needed. It can hold a laptop in the back slot, which is the same size as the main compartment. The one I have looks a lot like the F-804 super satchel model (I think that is the model it is--looks the same).

The ORIGINAL 1980's era F-2 type Domke bags hold a LOT...again, zero padding, except what you provide via hand towels, scarves, or pouches/socks/slip-cases/neoprene lens wraps, etc.. However, that same lack of padding and lack of fixed compartmentalization allows one-use things like carrying the 300/2.8 in the main bag, or carrying a TON of stuff stacked in there protected by silicone wraps or bubble wrap, or whatever, for "one-time" odd uses/rare occasions/whatever happens kinda' days...

Most reactions

Back