Looking for a carbon fiber tripod and ball-head for travel under $700.

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I already have a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 808RC4, and they're extremely solid, but they weigh a ton, and I wouldn't even think of taking them traveling or hiking. I'm really looking for a solid carbon fiber tripod that I can strap to my backpack and go, but I don't have any experience with carbon fiber tripods, but I'm looking for input. I've researched the Gitzo 0 Series, but they're exteremely costly (on the border of my budget including the ballhead), and I'd like some input. I can probably factor in the sell price of the Manfrotto set of around $200 after fees and shipping.

Gitzo 1542T

Load Capacity15.43 lb (7 kg)
Head Attachment Fitting1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Maximum Height58.66" (149.0 cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended45.87" (116.5 cm)
Minimum Height8.66" (22.0 cm)
Folded Length16.73" (42.5 cm)
Weight2.2 lb (1 kg)

Gitzo 1542T

Load Capacity15.43 lb (7 kg)
Head Attachment Fitting1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Maximum Height58.66" (149.0 cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended45.87" (116.5 cm)
Minimum Height8.66" (22.0 cm)
Folded Length16.73" (42.5 cm)
Weight2.2 lb (1 kg)

So, that's around $550 on Amazon. What about a comparable ball-head for it?

I know how you fell I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB it weighs a ton, makes me sweat through my shirt lol.

Don't forget to check out Craig's List - I've bought probably a half-dozen tripods & heads through it over the years, always got a good deal.

i have the same setup as far as legs go as you and a 496(i think) head. I think currently the head is the weakest link. I am gonna be following this closely i might upgrade my tripod as well, this is a heavy as tripod.

Took the Gitzo out for a spin today, and oh man is it awesome. It's a great feeling when my camera weighs more than the tripod I'm carrying with me.

Whow I had no idea that a good tripod could be this expensive.

I like my heavy tripod...

I upgraded from a Manfrotto to a Gitzo with a Really Right Stuff ball head. It's pricey, but DAMN it's light. The whole setup weighs less than my camera. For the pair it would run somewhere close to a grand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back