Looking for a Dependable Lightweight Tripod

I bought one of these, on sale, for $99.99, with a carry case, and free shipping. It's now $139 since the sale is off. Flashpoint CF1127N Carbon Fiber Tripod,Supports 18.7Lbs F1127N

I went with 3-sections more for speed of set-up and adjustment than any other factor. This is what I consider both "dependable" and "lightweight". I had a minor issue learning how the leg locks functioned...I accidentally, without thinking, unscrewed a leg log moving in the wrong direction for too many turns...and found out that that is the way to disassemble the legs for cleaning!!!! lol...after 20+ years with Bogen, this twist-to-lock design was not that familiar to me. "Do'h!"

I dunno...I was used to a 13.5 pound steel-and-aluminum Bogen 3051 "automatic" tripod, with one-touch, trigger-based raising and lowering and ULTRA-FAST height adjustment...this twist-lock, carbon fiber 1127 model is sooooo much lighter though, and the 3-section legs are a bit longer than their 4-section designs, but that means three fewer leg locks to deal with much of the time...

If you want a tripod that goes INSIDE of a backpack, you will almost assuredly need to go to a 4-section 'pod. And $25 to $40? Sorry, but it is no longer 1950...twenty-five bucks is NOTHING these days...that's lunch at an Applebee's...

I had to schlep around the tripods/cameras they use for local news, that will put hair on your chest and a few herniated discs in your back. Those suckers are 60lbs plus and old as hell. Add a 40lbs camera and you were in for a ****ty day.

To the OP, you can see from all the posts that you do NOT want to skimp on a tripod if you want your equipment to be safe, sturdy and not prone to falling over or the tripod breaking. Having said that, if you insist on getting a cheap tripod you can follow this link and see what floats your boat. But, you have been warned.

Tripod Systems| B&H Photo Video

"Sturdy" means different things to different people. If the OP is looking to shoot in broad daylight and isn't using a heavy camera/lens, there should be serviceable under-$50 options out there. I don't know the current market for these but I have a Velbon that I bought many years ago for $40 or so that's still serviceable for that sort of thing. But, of course, I won't use that for anything demanding like night photography (or any photography with a DSLR, for that matter).

I think the "fits in a backpack" part of the OP's request is more troublesome, especially coupled with the at-least 60" requirement. That automatically implies many-section legs and funky folding schemes etc., none of which contribute to "sturdy" (or "durable", I would expect). And certainly not for $40.

"Sturdy" means different things to different people. If the OP is looking to shoot in broad daylight and isn't using a heavy camera/lens, there should be serviceable under-$50 options out there. I don't know the current market for these but I have a Velbon that I bought many years ago for $40 or so that's still serviceable for that sort of thing. But, of course, I won't use that for anything demanding like night photography (or any photography with a DSLR, for that matter).

A Velbon from many years ago that cost $40 is probably a $100 tripod these days. Prices could easily have more than doubled over "Many Years".

90% of the lightweight tripod designed to fit into back packs are for point and shoots or super light weight dslr.

A Velbon from many years ago that cost $40 is probably a $100 tripod these days. Prices could easily have more than doubled over "Many Years".

and probably weighs more than I would want to carry on a hike.... which is the same problem with most cheap tripods. They use cheap materials (and lots of it) to compensate for the lack of durability and rigidity of the cheap material...

And here's a lighter take by the one and only Kai.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have couple of Slik Sprint Pro's laying around. I will sell you one of those for $60 plus shipping. I used to hike with it, using a bridge camera. It would handle a small DSLR with kit lenses ok... but I wouldn't put anything heavy on it...

Amazon.com: Slik SPRINT PRO 3-WAY Travel Tripod with 3-Way Panhead and Quick-Release: Camera & Photo

Would I really recommend it? No! But it would do if you are careful, and that is all you can afford.
I have a Slik Sprint Mini II that falls in the same category. It's all aluminum, 13" long folded and 43" long fully extended. It's fine for a bridge or a LIGHT DSLR with a SHORT lens, but that's about all. There is no way I'd put a heavy camera on it, nor would I trust it in any wind. I do like it for motorcycle trips though since it's small and light.

and probably weighs more than I would want to carry on a hike.... which is the same problem with most cheap tripods. They use cheap materials (and lots of it) to compensate for the lack of durability and rigidity of the cheap material...

Nope, it's noticeably lighter than my $400 CF tripod (which, according to specs is under 4.5lb, including head). And while I wouldn't use the Velbon in a windy location or anything, it's not terribly unstable either (especially with a weight).

But Scott's point is well taken -- I'm probably underestimating the effects of inflation and the tendency of manufacturers now to hike the prices of decent stuff to make space for junk at the lower end of the spectrum.

I bought a Sunpak at Walmart for $49.00. It also converts to a mono pod. It has been dependable so far.

I have couple of Slik Sprint Pro's laying around. I will sell you one of those for $60 plus shipping. I used to hike with it, using a bridge camera. It would handle a small DSLR with kit lenses ok... but I wouldn't put anything heavy on it...

Amazon.com: Slik SPRINT PRO 3-WAY Travel Tripod with 3-Way Panhead and Quick-Release: Camera & Photo

Would I really recommend it? No! But it would do if you are careful, and that is all you can afford.
I have a Slik Sprint Mini II that falls in the same category. It's all aluminum, 13" long folded and 43" long fully extended. It's fine for a bridge or a LIGHT DSLR with a SHORT lens, but that's about all. There is no way I'd put a heavy camera on it, nor would I trust it in any wind. I do like it for motorcycle trips though since it's small and light.

This one is a little larger than that... about 19" folded, and will go just past 60" extended. Supposedly good for about 4 lbs of gear. I agree.. I would not put a larger body or a heavy lens on it. But for the money, a D5100 /3100 would do fine the kit lenses. It wouldn't be my first choice.. but then I am not financially limited!

You folks have just taught me a lot. The very reason I asked the question. Now I will have something
to fall back on as I go forth on my search.
I will check out Adorama. I also spend a lot of research time on Amazon because I find the customer reviews
very fair and honest.
Thank you so much for the help.

In your price range I'd forget the Tri-pod and start looking for a Mono-pod. And a beanbag.

If you lean your back against something sturdy and take a good stance you can do pretty well with a monopod. If you move up in price a little you can even get one sturdy enough to pass as a walking stick.

A beanbag does well when you find something to set the whole operation on.

Most reactions

Back