Looking for a Dependable Lightweight Tripod

djlen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ideally I'd like it to be at least 60" in height. Light and then have the ability to break
down small enough to fit into a back pack.
I've got a big old clunky one for shooting around the house or when visiting.
I want something I can take into the field with me
that sets up and breaks down easily and won't take up much room when traveling.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Adorama Flashpoint carbon fiber, 4-secttion. Available on-line, or across the river in NYC...

Thank you Derrel, I will check that one out.
Jwbryson1, I would like to find something dependable but inexpensive. It will probably take a beating in the field
so I want something sturdy, but reasonably priced. Hope that answers your question.

It does not. What is your budget in US Dollars?

Well I just checked out Derrel's Adorama Flashpoint carbon fiber, 4-secttion and it's more than I want to spend. Let's call it in the $25 to $40
price range.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I asked because for anything under $200+ new you are not going to get anything dependable, and that's not taking into consideration that we are just talking about the legs, although you can probably get a nice Manfrotto kit with legs + ballhead for around $200'ish.

Look at Adorama and B&H in NYC. Both excellent and highly reliable.

Let's call it in the $25 to $40 price range.

Then you need to remove the word "Dependable" from your description.

Exactly, I dropped $400 for my lightweight Manfrotto video/photo tripod and the thing is bulletproof.

Cheap, light, durable. You can only pick two.

"Lightweight" and " dependable" are usually mutually exclusive as well. Unfortunately, people learn this the hard way – either by getting blurry photos of that once-in-a-time event, or (even worse) by seeing their beloved camera/lens crashing to the ground.

I was on the same boat as you a few years ago. I'm glad I listened to others' recommendations. $25 to $40 will only buy you a headache.

"Lightweight" and " dependable" are usually mutually exclusive as well. Unfortunately, people learn this the hard way – either by getting blurry photos of that once-in-a-time event, or (even worse) by seeing their beloved camera/lens crashing to the ground.

I was on the same boat as you a few years ago. I'm glad I listened to others' recommendations. $25 to $40 will only buy you a headache.

Lightwieght is only undependable if it isn't carbon fiber... The decent CF tripods are very dependable, albeit expensive! (now if they could only make a decent carbon fiber ball head)!

Lightwieght is only undependable if it isn't carbon fiber... The decent CF tripods are very dependable, albeit expensive! (now if they could only make a decent carbon fiber ball head)!
Good point. I guess "dependable" can have a couple different meanings – it could be a tripod that can withstand abuse, but it could also mean a tripod that won't make your photos blurry if it's windy or be knocked over by stronger winds. I'm in a very windy area so the latter "dependable" is what I think of when discussing tripods.

Good point. I guess "dependable" can have a couple different meanings – it could be a tripod that can withstand abuse, but it could also mean a tripod that won't make your photos blurry if it's windy or be knocked over by stronger winds. I'm in a very windy area so the latter "dependable" is what I think of when discussing tripods.

Understood! I always hang a loaded gear bag underneath my lightwieght CF tripod to help alleviate that issue. That and a remote, and I am good!

Yep. Lightweight often means 'not stable'.

A key specification for a tripod is it's weight capacity. You want a weight capacity at least 2x the heaviest camera/lens combo you expect the tipod to handle, plus weight on the weight hook, but 3x is better.

The more leg sections a tripod has the less stable it can be because each lower leg section has to be a smaller diameter than the one above.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back