What's new

Looking for a FED camera

Pumpedupkicks

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 12, 2012
Messages
190
Reaction score
6
Location
Tennessee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a FED camera I saw a couple of videos on them and I wanna try. I am a senior in high school and last week I made a decision to major in photo journalism. I love photography and I am into film. I own 2 holga's and a mini Diana. I want a FED camera or a Film camera because I want to learn how to work one. The holga is very basic and I'm looking for a challenge. If anyone has a FED or just a film camera please let me know. Oh and before I go I wanted to see if you can look at my blog which is My Life In Photography please give me feedback on my pictures. I want to make sure my photo's are good enough to major in photo journalism.

Thanks, Braeden
 
I have a Fed-5B,

FED-5V, Fedka.com

with the Industar-61 Panda, lens from 1965. The build quality of the I-61 Panda is better than the all-black version. Optics are very sharp. It is a Tessar formula lens, uses low-dispersion glass.

With a Russian FED and ZORKI: NEVER change shutter-speeds until after you advance the shutter, it will break the shutter mechanism.

How about $35+ shipping.
 
Does it still work and everything? And I may buy that I was looking for a FED 1 but I really need any film camera under 30 that was my budget
 
Everything seems to work for now. It's a Russian camera that is about 35 years old. I picked it up in a trade, and the I-61 lens for doing some repair work.

Russian cameras are not the most reliable out there. I think you would do better to concentrate on one type of camera for film, SLR, RF, or Medium Format: one at a time. The Russian cameras- good to learn camera repair. The Kiev's: jam a lot. The FED 1 and 2: shutter curtain material not the best, but neither was that used in the Minolta and Nicca rangefinders. "Canon " and "Canon 7", stainless steel shutter curtains.

Get a budget together, do some research on what model camera that you want. You can start a discussion on the film forum here, others have. My personal experience: I have a Zorki 3M that was CLA'd before I bought it. It jammed, I fixed it. Three Kiev 4's: One DOA, 2 jammed after a couple of rolls. I bought a Contax RF. Any 50 year old camera likely needs a CLA. The problem is, value of the Russian cameras makes it cost-prohibitive. Japanese and German cameras: value of the camera exceeds the CLA.
 
Last edited:
There are a lot of places to get an FED camera. I own an FED I. It is a bottom loading camera similar to the Leica II. I got mine on ebay fro around $100. I then had it sent to a professional camera repairman to be inspected and have the focus adjusted. Often times old rangefinders need to have a checkup, because over time they go out of focus. If you want one that is ready to go when you get it, you can find an FED on lomography.com. I personally like the look and the feel of the FED I. Later FED cameras became back loaders, which for some people is better. It depends on your preference. If you don't mind learning how to load a camera from the bottom, the FED I is the way to go.

If you just looking for a good rangefinder for a cheap price, I would suggest the Argus C3. It is built like a tank, so you will never have problems with it. I got a WWII era Argus C3 on ebay for around $20, and it takes fantastic photos. Plus it is cheaper than the FED, and it still has the look of a classic camera. I will include some sample photos from the C3 below. $DSC_0012.webp$62270018.webp$62270009.webp$62270011.webp
 
Last edited:
Wow great pictures and I like the argus c3 design. I dont have a credit card so Is anyone selling them that I can buy for cash money
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom