Looking for a lens for macro photography

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
I'm looking for an EF lens that I can use for close-ups as well as a general lens (I forget the name; it's between wide-angle and tele). Any suggestions?

I'm only a HS student with a limited budget, so I'd like to keep it on the cheap side.

Thanks. :wink:

Thanks. I'll look into those 50mm lenses.

Right now for a 50(ish)mm lens I'm using the Helios off my Zenit. Although the Russians make drop-dead reliable guns, they sure as heck don't make decent photography stuff. So yes, I think this lens must come next.

Thanks for the help.

There's a few macro lenses going around

Sigma 105mm
Tamron 90mm
Canon 100mm

These are the more popular lenses but cost a little more. Get 1:1 lifesize if you can.

Regards
Jim

Macro lenses come in different sizes for different jobs. If you are shooting in a home studio, you will probably want a 50mm (ish). But for insects (thay scare easily and you can't get so close as you can to a paper clip ! ! !). you will need a longer lens (105 -150 ish). The best advice I can give is to look around and play in your local camera shop. at the moment about the best range is made by Sigma . I have a drop dead georgeous Sigma 105.mm f2.8 EX DG macro. and it is sharper and half the price of the canon... I have just this minute read a review of available 100mm ish macro lenses, the reviewer gives the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di a really good write up.There are of course plenty of second hand lenses out there, but be careful.
If you let us know the kit you have now, and what you would like to shoot with it, we can really get into the problem. If you are on a restricted budget you might even try extention rings . or if you want the best then bellows and a 50mm prime are the top answer. It really depends on the set up and the results that you are after

Most reactions

New Topics

Back