Looking for a new camera

Wayne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a first time user of this forum. I've been thinking of buying a new camera and not sure which way to go. I currently have a Nikon FA which I purchased new many years ago. I like the camera very much but now I'm looking for an auto-focus SLR. My question is do I buy another film camera or do I buy a digital SLR. I have been looking at a Nikon N80 and a Nikon D70. I only take picture for my own enjoyment. I normally don't making any enlargments larger than 11 X 17. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne

The film vs digital decision is a pretty hot topic right now, and IMO it's a little bit blown out of proportion. It's simply of matter of personal preference and taste. Of course the biggest advantage of digital is immediate preview of your pictures, and taking loads of pictures without developing. If you are an experienced film user, you might have the confidence and skill to not need a preview to get the shot, and developing might not bother you much. Obviously the N80 is some 700 USD cheaper, which could go towards some nice lenses. I haven't closely compared the two, but I would imagine that the two sets of specs would be comparable. Have a close look at them and decide which features are most important. For example, with film you have a higher ranger of ISO (the D70 is 200-1600) however the D70 has a faster shutter (1/8000th compared to 1/4000th). You should be able to print 11x17 easily with both film and the 6MP D70. Accessories (and their cost) play into it also, as do the feel and balance of the camera. If possible try both out at a local store. As for my 2 cents, if you're just shooting for fun you could go with the N80 and outfit yourself with body, lense(s), film, tripod, bag, and other accessories for what the D70 body would cost. That would be my reccomendation. But once again, it's a personal decision. Sorry for the long post. good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back