Looking for a new entry level DSLR

MrSawler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking for a new DSLR. I'm sorry if my english is a little bit weird, I actually french :)

I've previously used a Canon 550D and than a Nikon D5100, because the Canon broke and I wanted to test another brand.

My Nikon also broke a few month ago, and the repair would cost almost as much as a new camera.

I have a lens with my Nikon, a Tamron 18-250 but it was really cheap and not good, I want to get ride of it.

So I'm looking for a new camera to buy.

I would put myself between the amateur and the pro, I know how the shutter/aparture/ISO work and I know the basics of composing, but I have a long way to go before been a "pro".

For me, the primary concern is the price. I would like to buy three lens, one prime lens 50mm, another 35mm or 80mm and the last one a zoom just because it's handy sometime.

I have a budget of around 1000$ for the body and the three lens, I would prefer less but I know photography can (sometime) be expensive.

I really don't know which brand to take. First I was thinking to get a Sony, there Konica Minolta seems to be pretty decent and affordable. Than I started to look at Pentax, the K-50 look alright. I was also thinking about getting the Nikon D5300, now that the D5500 is out, I can find it to around 500$. I don't mind been on a new brand and I can also get a Canon or else.

I really don't care about things like GPS/touch screen/in built HDR/3D etc... I just want a camera that take good picture for the price.

Given that background, is there any brand/camera that you would recommend me ? I really want a brand/camera that came with not very expensive lens, as I'm still a student.

Thanks a lot :)
MrSawler

Nikon has, most would say, the absolute highest-performance 85mm f/1.8 of any maker; the 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G-Nikkor. $396 US dollars new. Nikon has a pretty much professionally-capable 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens for $196 US new. Nikon has a good-but-not superb 35mm f/1.8 AF-S G-DX-Nikkkor for $199 US new. I dunno....Nikon D5200 is probably the best "deal", since there are newer offerings in that model, the flippy-screen model. There are the D5300, and the NEW D5500...I was watching this video last night, with the D5300 and the new-ish 18mm-140mm VR lens.

Nikon D5500 Fro Knows Photo

I am curious as to why (how?) you broke two cameras? Are you handling them with care?

In most cases retailers will package a lens with the camera. Probably the AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 G. It is a pretty good lens for the money, and you can become familiar with the camera before you decide on another lens.

Just a thought: in my city, a professional photo store has two Nikon D80 bodies for sale, one at $85 US, the other at $95 US dollars. USED cameras can often be bought for a fraction of their new selling price, especially in stores. On-line used prices tend to be higher than in-store prices. A camera sitting in a for-sale case in an actual camera shop might have a real-world retail street value of 70 to 80 Euro; on-line at a nation-wide seller, the same model might be priced at 120 Euro.

Anothe vote for the Nikon D5300, excellent camera but I doubt you will be able to get it plus the 3 lenses you want for 1000$

Nikon 35mm 1.8G
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Nikon 85mm 1.8G

Even used you are looking at around 600$-700$ just for the 3 lenses, these are excellet lenses but your price is not enough to get the camera and lenses at the same time.
My advice start with the D5300 with its basic kit lens and get the Nikon 50mm 1.8G then when you have more cash get the other lenses.

I am curious as to why (how?) you broke two cameras? Are you handling them with care?

Don't worry, I take great care of my camera. The Canon was actually my sister's camera, she drop her lens in the sand and damaged the lens and body. My parents offer me a new camera so I bought a Nikon to change and we didn't had any working Canon lens anymore. The Nikon had a problem with the shutter, I was in Greece and it's just stop working the next morning... I don't know if it's serious or not but I live in a country where a camera cost a lot (more then 1 500$ for the Nikon D5500 and a basic lens), so I plan to repair it overseas than resell it here more than the price of a new one, for around 500-600$ and get a new one.

I forgot to mention, I never owned anything better than a Nikon D5100/Canon 550D but I've been using the Canon 5D Mark II of a friend for more than one year when ever possible with prime lens, I will not consider myself anything near a "professional", but I think I can say I'm know more things than an "amateur", I've been taking photos for more than four years.

I think I will go for Nikon again. I didn't thought about buying an used one, that could be a good alternative. I will have to buy it in Australia (I live in another country), is it safe to buy it from a shop ? If something goes wrong, I will not be able to easily return it to Australia.

For the lens, I think I will take the Nikon 50mm 1.8G, one or two basic zoom , I can actually go up to 1 500$ after I repair and sell my Nikon D5100, and another prime lens. For the last prime lens, would you recommend me to go for a 35mm or a 85mm first ? I will probably pay both when I can.

Thanks a lot for your advice :)

Get the 50mm first, the 35mm is actually very close to the 50mm and is not as good for portraits, 85mm is really good for portrait but not so good for general use.
Actually personally I would consider getting instead of the 35mm the Nikon 28mm 1.8G, its more expensive then the 35mm but its wider, for last I would consider adding the 85mm.

As for the general use everyday kit lens I would suggest a used Nikon 18-105mm VR, excellent lens that should go (used) for around 150$-200$
Its a good sharp lens that has a good focal range, I used to own it and found it to be good lens and excellent value.
You can also get the Nikon 18-55mm VR which is cheaper and good too but very limiting with its less usable focal range.

Good luck.

I think I will go for Nikon again. I didn't thought about buying an used one, that could be a good alternative. I will have to buy it in Australia (I live in another country), is it safe to buy it from a shop ? If something goes wrong, I will not be able to easily return it to Australia.

For the lens, I think I will take the Nikon 50mm 1.8G, one or two basic zoom , I can actually go up to 1 500$ after I repair and sell my Nikon D5100, and another prime lens. For the last prime lens, would you recommend me to go for a 35mm or a 85mm first ? I will probably pay both when I can.
If I understand correctly; you are now in Australia, but you will return to France. Typically, used cameras do not include an extended warranty, so expect only a 30-day warranty from the shop. This is where you have to trust your own judgement. If the camera looks well cared for, and the shutter count is low, and depending on the availability of local service shops in France, I would seriously consider buying the used camera.

If you decide to wait until you return home, then you can get a Euro-zone camera with a full Nikon factory warranty.

Which lens to purchase will depend on what type of photography you want to do. For portraiture, get the 85mm, for casual snapshots, get the 35mm.

If I understand correctly; you are now in Australia, but you will return to France. Typically, used cameras do not include an extended warranty, so expect only a 30-day warranty from the shop. This is where you have to trust your own judgement. If the camera looks well cared for, and the shutter count is low, and depending on the availability of local service shops in France, I would seriously consider buying the used camera.

If you decide to wait until you return home, then you can get a Euro-zone camera with a full Nikon factory warranty.

Which lens to purchase will depend on what type of photography you want to do. For portraiture, get the 85mm, for casual snapshots, get the 35mm.

Hi,

Actually I don't live in France but in New Caledonia, we just have one expensive camera shop over there, this is why I can't buy it there but I will be in Australia in a couple a days. I will only be in transit for a few days, so I have to look on Internet then go to the store.

I find a "great" deal in Australia, a Nikon D5300 with a Nikon 18-105mm kit for 730 AUD (NIKON D5300 kit 18-105mm Lens Digital DSLR Camera - Black FREE RETURN POSTAGE I can also buy the Nikon 50mm 1.8G for 184 AUD.

What do you think of it ?

I'm still figuring out if I take the 35mm/28mm or the 85mm.

That sounds like a good deal.

Agreed, assuming seller is good then this does sound like a nice deal.

The D5300 with the 18-105 lens is a good deal. I actually sometimes use that lens for my professional work with my D7100, provided I don't need to push the lens to its limits. It's decently sharp if you stop it down and use the VR, assuming you're holding it.

I've previously used a Canon 550D and than a Nikon D5100, because the Canon broke and I wanted to test another brand.

My Nikon also broke a few month ago, and the repair would cost almost as much as a new camera.
Every single digital camera I used is still fully functional ... how do you manage to break your cameras so quickly, lolz ?!?

I have a lens with my Nikon, a Tamron 18-250 but it was really cheap and not good, I want to get ride of it.
No surprise there.

I would put myself between the amateur and the pro, I know how the shutter/aparture/ISO work and I know the basics of composing, but I have a long way to go before been a "pro".
Well ... "pro" is not a level of ability.

"Pro" just means you're earning your money with photography.

If you break cameras this quickly - one of the most expensive, tougher camera body might actually be worthwhile ? Treating your camera with more care would also be adviseable, though.

My advice would be to look for a used D7000 or D7100 with 18-105mm or 18-140mm, plus the two primes you want. Dunno if it will fit into your budget, though.

Solarflare, please read my post #6, I didn't actually broke the first one and for the second camera, I have no idea what happened but I've never drop it, put it on the floor/dust and there is not even a single scratch on it or on the lens, I will bring it to the repair shop and see exactly what is the problem. In the first message I just said that the two camera broke without saying how because it's was shorter and easier than explaining what really happened.

For the Tamron, I knew that is was a really bad lens before I bought it, but I didn't literally had any money at the time and 200$ was a lot for me, still I think it was a waste of money. Now things are different as I can afford more things.

For my level, I know that "pro" is not a level of ability, this is why I put it between " ". This is just a way of saying that I know the basics, more than someone who just bought a DSLR and still use the auto modes but I nowhere near the experience of someone who do this for a living.

--

I was looking online for shops and I found that the price of the Nikon D7000 dropped around 500-600$, which is the same as the Nikon D5300. What would you recommend me ? Buying the Nikon D5300 or the D7000 ?

Most reactions

Back