Looking for a new lens...

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, after a bit of saving and a lot of research, I have narrowed my lens search down to 2.

Nikon 24mm/f2.8
or
Nikon 50mm/f1.4

Right now I only have the kit 18-135 lens for my D80.

Any help in pointing me to the right lens is appreciated. For the record, I do mainly portraits and landscapes.

Thanks to anyone with any feedback.

I'd go for the 50. The 24 isn't really wide enough for you.

I would go with the 50mm. Your 18-135 is good for landscapes as it is so, having a dedicated portrait lens would benefit you more.

Forgive me if im wrong, you seem to imply the 50 is wide enough?

agreed.... that post does confused me too.

Personally, I'd go with the 24mm focal length on that cropped body. 50mm foocal length gives you the viewing field of a mild telephoto.... I would have more use for that 24mm.

Forgive me if im wrong, you seem to imply the 50 is wide enough?

Sorry -- no ... I meant that the 50 would be good for portraits, but the 24 wouldn't do the landscapes he wants ... sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks everyone. I think I will but them both, eventually, but maybe I will do the 50 for now and the 24 next month...hmmmm....

If I were you, I would consider something wider than 24 if you're really interested in landscapes. Consider the Sigma 10-20mm or something similar.

http://www.10-20mm.com/

If I were you, I would consider something wider than 24 if you're really interested in landscapes. Consider the Sigma 10-20mm or something similar.

http://www.10-20mm.com/
I agree totally. It may cost more than you are looking to spend but, I personally just save the money for it and, wait. Right now Im saving for a D700, Sigma 300-800 and, Nikons 14-24. THe best things are the one that are worth waiting for.

Joves & icassell

Do you think that the 50mm will be a worthwhile investment, as well as waiting (saving) for a wider lens in the future?

Kristal

Get the 50 now then save for more glass or, the better glass you are lusting after. The 50 will be great for portraits as, was said. Meanwhile you can still do alot with the 18-135 for awhile yet. Great thing about the 50 is it will make you move around alot to get the shots you want as well. I think every one of us old timers started with a 50mm because, it used to be the kit lens on most film cameras.

Get the 50 now then save for more glass or, the better glass you are lusting after. The 50 will be great for portraits as, was said. Meanwhile you can still do alot with the 18-135 for awhile yet. Great thing about the 50 is it will make you move around alot to get the shots you want as well. I think every one of us old timers started with a 50mm because, it used to be the kit lens on most film cameras.

I agree with getting the 50 now.

Yes, we all started with 50's, but that was before crop-sensors. On a 1.6X crop sensor camera, a 50 becomes an 80mm equivalent on a 35mm camera (a short telephoto/portrait lens).

Just gotta say, I got the new 50/1.4 on Friday and WOW! I spent the first night on a friends couch, taking pictures in the dark. I just love love love it! I had debated the cost compared to the 1.8, but the extra money was very well spent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back