Looking for a new monitor for digital PP

philaphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all -

I'm looking to replace my MacBook, which is way too bright and hurts my eyes to post process on. I've only ever used Macs, so I have no idea what other monitors are out there - particularly ones that are very true to color & brightness & good for editing digital images.

Any suggestions out there on what to use/not use? I'd like to keep it to $300 or so.

Thanks,
Amanda

We just went through the process of upgrading from a CRT to a LCD at our house, and IMHO, you are going to have a bit of a hard time getting accurate color in that price range. You really want an IPS or VA panel not TN. We wound up with HP2475w from ANTONLINE for 600$ and have been pleased with it for the price. Check out the Forum thread linked below as I think that it explains things well and has a link to how you know which monitor is what type.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...cts-news-reviews/143821-comments-monitor.html

Im still on a CRT and am looking for another one but, larger. I hate the LCDs myself. CRTs are getting harder to find though.

as opposed to getting a new monitor, i would suggest getting a proper monitor calibration application.... something like the huey or the huey pro... i use a macbook for all of my processing, and it has made all the difference in the world... it has a usb device that adjusts your monitor based on the light in the room... (so it wont hurt your eyes)

A good IPS screen is important. The iMacs also have IPS screens. Check the front page of the photography equipment subforum. There's an active thread about a Dell IPS pannel in that price range.

Also I have yet to see a calibration package work on a laptop. Don't know if macs are an exception to this rule

Also I have yet to see a calibration package work on a laptop. Don't know if macs are an exception to this rule

seems to work here... get great colors in my prints, which have so far, always matched the screen

but it is good to have a bigger monitor to work on... in my office i run a 19" dell as a "extended" monitor.. it makes editing easier, because its bigger...ut most of my editing is done just sitting here on my couch with my laptop

Where can I get a monitor calibration program? Are they free to download, or do I need to find it online to purchase?

Where can I get a monitor calibration program? Are they free to download, or do I need to find it online to purchase?
There are some calibration programs floating around, Adobe Gamma for example.
The problem with any calibration program is that is relies on you to eyeball the monitor...which is not going to be accurate.

To properly calibrate a monitor, you need a hardware device. A popular device is the Spyder. The device also comes with software (I believe there are three options for the software). The device precisely reads the monitor and creates a profile for the video card. Proper calibration is fairly important for any serious photographer these days.

One issue with this system is that the calibration is happening at the video card, which isn't idea. A better set up would be to have a monitor that has it's own LUT (look up tables) and a compatible calibration device. This way, the calibration adjustments are made right at the monitor. The NEC 90 series are a good example of this.

chrisburke as a matter of interest what laptop is it? And are you talking about accurate colours or accurate everything? I would kill for a laptop where the brightness / contrast didn't change even slightly with viewing angle (which is what my calibration statement was targeted at).

ahhh Macs must be an exception to this rule :). Not only did my gear not do anything remotely useful on my Dell, it failed to work completely because of the lack of brightness or contrast control. I could only calibrate the colours, but who knows at what viewing angle they made sense.

This is good to know, I've been using an iMac for a few weeks now and Apples are kind of growing on me :)

i switched to mac 6 or 7 years ago now, and I'll never go back.. I havent used a PC for more than 10 minutes since I switched (and I use to do tech for PC's) i'm useless with them now...

your iMac has a built in calibration tool.. its not the greatest, but it does help a bit (its in system preferences>Displays>Color) you have to be paitent with it, as it takes some time, and understanding (the wording in the on screen guide can be confusing)..

i would strongly suggest you check out the huey or the spyder.. they are both great screen calibrators (IMO the huey is better) because you leave it plugged in all the time, and it adjusts all the time depending on the lighting.. and its pretty decently priced....

the huey basic (which is all most people need) run for anywhere from 60-80 bucks (on amazong) while the huey pro runs about 100 bucks (same place)

Unfortunately it's not my iMac.

Also to throw another alternative into the mix the iOne Display 2 calibrator. It is the one bundled with my NEC spectraview monitor, and doesn't suffer problems like the Spyder 2 when used with Wide Gamut or LED backlit monitors. (Although the Spyder 3 addressed these problems from what I heard)

i switched to mac 6 or 7 years ago now, and I'll never go back.. I havent used a PC for more than 10 minutes since I switched (and I use to do tech for PC's) i'm useless with them now...

your iMac has a built in calibration tool.. its not the greatest, but it does help a bit (its in system preferences>Displays>Color) you have to be paitent with it, as it takes some time, and understanding (the wording in the on screen guide can be confusing)..

i would strongly suggest you check out the huey or the spyder.. they are both great screen calibrators (IMO the huey is better) because you leave it plugged in all the time, and it adjusts all the time depending on the lighting.. and its pretty decently priced....

the huey basic (which is all most people need) run for anywhere from 60-80 bucks (on amazong) while the huey pro runs about 100 bucks (same place)

Im buying a Huey on ebay now BRAND NEW. You can get them for $50 BRAND NEW (with free shipping) off of ebay.

Most reactions

Back