Looking for a new Point 'n Shoot, thoughts?

macpro88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. Looking for a new Point 'n Shoot. Hoping I can get some input and what a great choice would be. Coming from a 4 year old PowerShot.

Looking for:
-Fast; turn it on, take a great pic, done
-Will be used for spontaneous moments, mostly people (friends family etc...)
-Should take great low light to little to no light photos
-Don't need anything too fancy or those fancy editing/effects features, that's what my DSLR is for
-Around or under $200
-Wide angle lens (I feel this is a big deal to me as it takes better pics of people and groups of people, correct me if you think otherwise).

I was looking at a few Nikon CoolPix cameras and liked the S6200 and S5100. I am not picky about brand, as long as its a great performer and will last another 4 years like my Canon.

Let me know what you guys think, what you have, weather you like it or not, pros/cons etc.. I'll be doing more research (still somewhat of a camera research newb, tis why I'm asking for opinions).

Thanks everyone.

My opinion of sub $200 digital cameras is this....If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I read an article, a while back, that said that most of the camera companies share or sell parts for these things. So you could buy a Sony digicam that has a Nikon lens and a Canon sensor (as an example, I don't know it that's specifically true).

My opinion of sub $200 digital cameras is this....If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I read an article, a while back, that said that most of the camera companies share or sell parts for these things. So you could buy a Sony digicam that has a Nikon lens and a Canon sensor (as an example, I don't know it that's specifically true).

Yeah, kinda came across some places saying the same thing. Most sub $200 PnS cameras perform very close to each other if not the same. Never heard about the sharing of the parts though, that's new to me. Course its the same thing when name brand food companies make store brand products using the same recipes/materials/etc.

Know of any good/reliable review sites that do a good job at review camera products.

Thanks for your input.

Most reactions

Back