Looking for a New standard Zoom Lens.

John Mc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Birthday is in April, An i Reckon with what i'll save and the money i'll get from Family ect, and as the Thread suggests,i'm thinking Upgrading my Kit Lens might be a smart move.
I'll have around £300-350. ive been looking at 3 lenses in particular; a Tamron 17-50/2.8 XR ,a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS, Ive also looked at Canon's 17-85/4-5.6 Is. Im not really asking to pick for me, Im More asking if anyone has any experience of any of the lenses. I'm ideally looking for something like the Sigma, But i was curious if losing the extra stop at longer ranges is worth it. I ideally want a Short telephoto zoom.

If anyone has any other suggestions,pipe in :) My Budget isnt fixed,and i wont be desperate to get it,but i do want one before the summer(june/july)

I have the Canon 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 (non VC).

I love the range of the Canon, it's my goto lens for fun family type shooting...but when I'm shooting weddings or portraits etc, the Tamron is my money lens. The wide aperture is a great option to have and the image quality is very good for the price.

Thanks Mike :), I'm going to do more research obv. I have heard Extremly good things about the Tamron Lens, but i would still like a bit more Telephoto like on the Sigma. On a crop sensor it turns out to be more like a 28-110 :) but i havent seen many folk with them :/ soo its going to be a tough one.

are you looking at replacing your existing lens with something similar but better?
or do you want to fill a need / void in your current lens lineup?

To replace the 18-55, the Tamron mentionned is nice. You can also look at the Canon 17-55 EF-s or the Canon 17-40

If you want to get a slightly longer range, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is a nice lens (I own one). Fast aperture, lower price and lighter than the Canon 24-70, but a bit slower AF in low light.

Its to replace an existing kit lens, I'm happy with it, it's just obviously not the best quality. I didn't think of looking at the Tamron 28-70/2.8.

On a crop sensor it turns out to be more like a 28-110
It's only more like a 28-110, if you are comparing the FOV to a 35mm film SLR camera or full frame digital.

If you haven't been using a film SLR, then it's not more like 28-110....is more like exactly what it is. ;)

I have the Sigma 17-70 and have made it my vacation lens. It is extremely sharp, light weight, good range, and fast enough for most situations. I do very little post shot work on my photos and this lens is just great !

On a crop sensor it turns out to be more like a 28-110
It's only more like a 28-110, if you are comparing the FOV to a 35mm film SLR camera or full frame digital.

If you haven't been using a film SLR, then it's not more like 28-110....is more like exactly what it is. ;)

Oh i know Mike,I Prefer knowing what the equivalent is on a 35mm format as i use that format daily :)

and thanks for the Info Nod :)

Most reactions

Back