Looking for a wider lens?

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
pardon my terminology here but i'm looking for a wider lens... all I have is the kit lens and the 70-300mm I'm looking for something that is wider.. if that makes sense.. for example.. the lens in the following picture was a nice wide lens.. I dont know what it was, it wasnt my camera, I was using a friends...

n513738225_34082_6944.jpg

I use nikon and i'm just looking for something wider.. does this make sense at all??

Looks like a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Hard to tell, cant see the ring, but it looks the same in body construction

That lens looks like the 17-85mm IS.

You want a lens that looks wider...as in physically bigger? Or do you want a wider field of view (shorter focal length)?

What is your kit lens...18-55mm?

Darn I knew that kids were starting earlier with more expensive kit that that is just ----

As for wider lenses the sigma 10-20mm is a very good (and cheaper than the top nikon/canon brand) wideangle lens for crop sensor cameras

I can vouch the the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 is a wonderful lens, but if budget minded, I have seen enough images from the Sigma 10-20mm that it is a bang for your buck.

If you don't know the terminology of what a wide lens is, I would suggest not blowing a whole paycheck on one. Get a sigma or something cheap.

Derrick

I've heard the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is also very good, and it's fairly inexpensive, about $570 USD. It won't autofocus on your D40 though (it will on your D50 I think), you'll need the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 for that.[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

That lens looks like the 17-85mm IS.

You want a lens that looks wider...as in physically bigger? Or do you want a wider field of view (shorter focal length)?

What is your kit lens...18-55mm?
EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM, its not this, the the focus ring is behind the MF switch on the picture... The 17-85 has the focusing ring infront of the switch

Yet, Nikkor does not produce a 17-85mm lens.

You had already guessed a 16-35mm, Big Mike thought 17-85mm. Both of those suggestions would have already given an idea of the focal lengths the OP might be looking for. The location of the focus ring on the 17-85mm is of little consequence since it is a Canon product and Chris shoots NIKON. :razz:

I'll be like the thousandth person here to chime in and recommend the Sigma 10-20mm. It's close to as wide as you can get without going fisheye, which is great for crop sensors. Very nice images, and a whole lot less expensive than Canon and Nikon offerings.

Stream%20Awesome%20SMALL.jpg

Recent shot made with Sigma 10-20mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back