Looking for an external flash (Nikon)

JohnS.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always tell people to search for information whenever I'm on my automotive forums so I try to go by what I preach. And please bare in mind I am extremely new to photography. I have never used any form of external flash nor do I know anything about them until now.

With that being said, I'd like some input on the SB-600. I'm just a casual photographer. You can see my gear in my signature. The reason why I'm looking to get the 600 is for indoor use (which is 99% of the pictures I currently take with winter rolling in). I was at my cousins house yesterday for Thanksgiving and even though I was shooting @ ISO 400, 1/60sec, and f/1.8 in decent lighting, the pictures were still turning out darker than I expected. Plus, after seeing a lot of my recent photos taken inside my house, a lot of them are dark at f/1.8 and ISO 400 (I do not want to go any higher on the ISO since it's only the D40 and the noise gets noticeably and 100x worse at ISO 800 and higher. That and I suck at editing which I'm also trying to learn).

So I've spent the last hour or 2 reading up on the SB-600. Here is what I have gathered and my questions:
- The tilt and swiveling head is a HUGE plus for me, as I like to mix up the angle that I shoot. But does constantly pivoting the head make it wear out faster? Or can it even break if you're in a hurry and change it too fast?
- I read something about it only working up to 85mm zoom? Does that mean it doesn't work if you zoom past 85mm? Or is it just not effective past 85mm zoom?
- I also read that it doesn't come with a bounce card but taping an index card essentially does the same thing? Any downfalls to having to manually tape something on there or is there something I can buy?
- Is it worth buying a bounce dome? I saw pictures where the flash was bounced up 90º with a bounce dome and without one and then with a flash card with no dome. I realize they all create different effects. For example - 90º bounce with a flash card is "harder" light but the bounce fills in as usual while the flash card acts as a front fill and a bounce dome softens the light. I don't like hard shadows (ie - on camera flash) and this is another reason why I want an external flash besides more light.
- The SB-600 will not work past a 1/500 shutter speed on the D40? Not that I would use it past that anyways since I'm not really at a level where I want to flash fill in daylight.
- Although a big advantage over the 400 is the fact that you can control the flash output power, how annoying is it to have to constantly change the settings? I would assume depending on light availability, camera angles, locations, etc., that you would have to constantly change the settings to fulfill the desired amount of flash output.

I considered the SB-400 but I want to be able to have more control of the flash strength instead of just having an on/off switch. The SB-800 is way out of my price range considering I just dumped nearly 2 paychecks on 2 prime lenses, a couple filters and caps, and a new bag (yeah I don't make that much money).

Any input is appreciated. And I apologize if I missed anything in my research. But I like to be thorough before purchasing stuff.

"But does constantly pivoting the head make it wear out faster? Or can it even break if you're in a hurry and change it too fast?"

I guess you could depending on Torque & Pressure. But I would worry about it as it's pretty well put together and solid for me.

" I read something about it only working up to 85mm zoom? Does that mean it doesn't work if you zoom past 85mm? Or is it just not effective past 85mm zoom? "

Just means light falloff starts to kick in and it becomes less effective giving full and even flash coverage.

"I also read that it doesn't come with a bounce card but taping an index card essentially does the same thing? Any downfalls to having to manually tape something on there or is there something I can buy?"

Just use a rubber band and a white card. Look up make your own bounce card like this one to make your own. Also you want a diffuser dome for the 600 as it doesn't come with either. And Yes you want a Dome Diffuser or on flash soft box,lightshpere's by Gary Fong which make many kits for varying conditions. And a diffuser is about changing hard flash light into soft diffused light. And for shooting portrait and other types is preferred over direct flash. The SB-600 has a pull down diffuser panel but I still prefer the dome types.

I wouldn't even consider the SB-400 which isn't much more than a pumped up popup flash. And the SB-600 is my first recommend for people stepping into flash. As it meats about 80% of users 100% needs.

So I've spent the last hour or 2 reading up on the SB-600. Here is what I have gathered and my questions:
- The tilt and swiveling head is a HUGE plus for me, as I like to mix up the angle that I shoot. But does constantly pivoting the head make it wear out faster? Or can it even break if you're in a hurry and change it too fast?

Anything is breakable if you are dumb enough. I would not worry about this.

- I read something about it only working up to 85mm zoom? Does that mean it doesn't work if you zoom past 85mm? Or is it just not effective past 85mm zoom?

as stated above, fall off is a concern after 85mm

- I also read that it doesn't come with a bounce card but taping an index card essentially does the same thing? Any downfalls to having to manually tape something on there or is there something I can buy?
- Is it worth buying a bounce dome? I saw pictures where the flash was bounced up 90º with a bounce dome and without one and then with a flash card with no dome. I realize they all create different effects. For example - 90º bounce with a flash card is "harder" light but the bounce fills in as usual while the flash card acts as a front fill and a bounce dome softens the light. I don't like hard shadows (ie - on camera flash) and this is another reason why I want an external flash besides more light.

These are really one question. Yes it is worth buying a diffuser. I use the sto-fen's and they work very nicely- slight color cast, but that is easily fixed in post.

Taken with a D90, SB-600 though a Sto-Fen diffuser:

DSC_7981ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

- Although a big advantage over the 400 is the fact that you can control the flash output power, how annoying is it to have to constantly change the settings? I would assume depending on light availability, camera angles, locations, etc., that you would have to constantly change the settings to fulfill the desired amount of flash output.

The SB-600 will work with your D40 using TTL, you will not need to change flash settings if mounted on the hotshoe, the camera will tell the flash how much power it needs for proper exposure. You do have those options to adjust the output if needed or desired.

I considered the SB-400 but I want to be able to have more control of the flash strength instead of just having an on/off switch. The SB-800 is way out of my price range considering I just dumped nearly 2 paychecks on 2 prime lenses, a couple filters and caps, and a new bag (yeah I don't make that much money).

Any input is appreciated. And I apologize if I missed anything in my research. But I like to be thorough before purchasing stuff.

Yeah, the SB-400 is a real waste of money... save up for the 600. The SB-800 will give your D40 the ability to use OCF using the built in commander mode (built into the flash). Start with the 600 and go from there.

p!nK

Well, if you bought an SB-700 instead of an SB-600 it would come with colored gels to help match the lighting conditions automatically (flash knows which gel you put on).

FWIW, I disagree that the SB-400 is a real waste of money - they come in quite handy when you don't want the bulk and some extra power with the added benefit of bounce flash.

I think in the long run, I'll be better off not to get things to help compensate for lightning conditions (color wise) in order to better my editing skills.

And I forgot to ask, so the SB-600 will automatically choose settings for me? Even if I shoot on manual (which is the way I shoot 99.99% of the time)? And manual override is as simple as pushing buttons I assume.

It's always best to get it right when you press the shutter release button, but if you like spending more time in post processing, that's your call. :)

I would definitely get the SB-600. I never even considered getting the 400 when I bought my camera. I knew I couldn't afford the SB-900 right then. So, I got the SB-600. It really does make a difference in your pics. You can also try messing around with your exposure as well. I took some pics in a club with my 35mm at f1.8 with no flash. They aren't the greatest pics, but I'm still learning. I have been messing around with my exposure lately. I find that you can take pretty good pics without the flash if you mess with your exposure some. They don't come out that dark either. I don't do any post processing. I haven't learned how to use photoshop yet. So, I've been working on getting the pics to come out like I want them to when I take the pic. I am going to get a diffuser as well.

You can look at some of the pics in this thread that I made a while back. They have some of the pics I took at the club with no flash. I had the exposure up to +2.0 I think. I can't remember.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...um-photo-gallery/213297-concert-pics-c-c.html

FWIW, I disagree that the SB-400 is a real waste of money - they come in quite handy when you don't want the bulk and some extra power with the added benefit of bounce flash.

ehh, maybe. but is it worth dumping 125 dollars of an already super tight budget??

p!nK

Probably not, but for future readers of this thread I wanted to clarify that the SB-400 is a great flash for its intended purpose.

Right, that makes sense. But for more control and power on a budget, the SB-600 is the way to go?

Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate all the help! Now to save some money for it lol.

If you ask the question, the answer is simple. Get the 600 and don't look back. The larger discussion of whether 400 serves any purpose on Earth at all is a different matter. I have both. 400 has the advantage of being small. And... that's about it. For the difference in price, 600 is a no-brainer. From your many questions and the fact that you are obviously reading up, I gather you are interested in some creativity with your photography, not just pointing and shooting. The 600 was my biggest step up in ability to work somewhat creatively starting out.

Actually for the budget conscious the Nissin line is the way to go. Over 20 years of experience and a quality flash for less money. Di622 or Di866 would be excellent choices.

If you ask the question, the answer is simple. Get the 600 and don't look back. The larger discussion of whether 400 serves any purpose on Earth at all is a different matter. I have both. 400 has the advantage of being small. And... that's about it. For the difference in price, 600 is a no-brainer. From your many questions and the fact that you are obviously reading up, I gather you are interested in some creativity with your photography, not just pointing and shooting. The 600 was my biggest step up in ability to work somewhat creatively starting out.

Yeah, I don't want to take simple pictures with the on-camera flash and the standard 18-55 lens (not that it's a bad lens). I want to get more involved with photography and step up to at least a semi-pro with decent gear and expanding knowledge / skills.

Not that it's my goal, but if I could start to do work for people or even make a little money off of it, it would definitely be a huge plus. I know I have a ways to go though.

Actually for the budget conscious the Nissin line is the way to go. Over 20 years of experience and a quality flash for less money. Di622 or Di866 would be excellent choices.

I'd like to stick to Nikon products. I'm not cheap and it's not that I wouldn't trust it or rely on it, but I like sticking with my brand name stuff. It's just how I am.

how does this brand work with TTl and with a d90 commander mode? I wouls like to use off camera wireless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back