Looking for C&C, relative beginner!!!

Montreal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Along with my thread on trying to shoot better night shots here, I figured some constructive criticism, comments, critique, whatever, of some of what I consider to be my better shots would help me work on better shots! Obviously, I don't tend to notice all the problems with my shots, so maybe some with more experience could help?

Here are a few I consider to be my better shots

I know white balance is one of my weak points... but I'd love to hear what you guys have to say! I am always looking for ways to improve :thumbup:

Last edited:
In case it changes anything, I'm shooting with a Sony Alpha A200, 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM lens, and editing with Adobe Lightroom 3 and Photoshop 7.0 :)

Welcome to the forum, however, just one point - when posting, please number your images. It makes it a lot easier for someone who is reviewing them to refer to a number rather than having to flip back and forth trying to remember which one they were commenting on. You will find that a lot more folks will give you comments this way. Personally, if I see more than 2 or 3 unnumbered posts, then I simply skip it as it will take to much of my time to flip back and forth during a review. Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Yes, many have white balance which are off. But there are no real guidelines in white balance as long as you like them or others like them.

Ease up on the editing a bit. Sometimes less is more. 1st & 5th no longer even look like a photograph, just CGI. The fourth would have benefited from greater DoF so the lettering on bldg is in focus. The last two look like basic snapshots. No idea why but I like the worn down old bldg shot!

Thanks! I will number my images from now on.

As for the CGIs, honestly, the only thing really edited in those shots is the clarity, and a bit of tweaking here and there, but yes, I am starting to realize, as you said, that less is more.

To work on Dof, I just reduce the F stop? I agree with what you said completely about that one. The other two are just snapshots, I agree, but I like the lighting and composure :)

Thanks again!

Thanks! I will number my images from now on.

Why wait? You can edit the post and number the photos now. All of them with the exception of the green flare one are over processed by a lot.

The only things I ever touch are clarity, fill lights, vibrance, saturation, etc.

That's fine but you've increased the levels too much.

2, 3 & 4 are the best ones IMO

Pick 2 you want criticism on. I don't want to spend all night doing it! :p

Pick 2 you want criticism on. I don't want to spend all night doing it! :p

There are only 7! I am just looking for overall tips; these looked good to me, but I want to know how others see them, overall, so I can adjust my shooting and editing styles accordingly. :)

I'd suggest start by posting unedited images. I'm trying to improve my photography skills. Then I'll worry about editing skills. In fact, I think all these C&C threads SHOULD be unedited images and a separate forum for editing C&C in which we post the before and after versions.

Most reactions

Back