Looking for camera to lure girlfriend into photography

TPF is a lot more sexist than i thought it was. This makes me sad.

1. In your title you used the word "lure" which infers you want to bait this woman into some kind of trap

2. You said "lure girlfriend" not "lure my girlfriend". Is this someone else's girlfriend?

3. Pretty sure you can figure out a camera selection on your own and are just trolling us.

4. Everyone is sexist and it's impossible not to be. It's hard wired into our reptile brains, only the thin veneer of modern society prevents us all from rutting in the streets like beasts.

Points for "thin veneer" and "rutting like beasts."

Wait, you mean were not supposed to be rutting in the streets like beasts? Ah geez. Again guys.. a MEMO would have been nice. You know, before I spent another night in jail. Sheesh.

Wait, you mean were not supposed to be rutting in the streets like beasts? Ah geez. Again guys.. a MEMO would have been nice. You know, before I spent another night in jail. Sheesh.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was typing all my sexist spew on my phone.... So, my bad. I'll get the memo out first next time.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was typing all my sexist spew on my phone.... So, my bad. I'll get the memo out first next time.

You spewed on your phone? Umm.. yikes. And I'm the one that lands in jail.. go figure.. lol

Dunno if you're still looking for suggestions but I love the Panasonic LX7. If I wanted to list everything good about it I'd be better off copying and pasting the product page. It has a very practical layout with plenty of physical buttons that make the transition to an interchangeable lens camera seamless. Image quality is good enough that you won't mind leaving the DSLR at home if you want to travel light. I'm sure you will play with it as much as she will. On Amazon they go used for exactly your price range. It will fit in her coat pocket with ease too.

Here's some advice from a guy that's been married to the same woman for 21 years. It's on you if you take it or not.

NEVER underestimate the politeness of a woman early on in a relationship. Early on = first 5-7 years for you newbs a out there. The only way to shop for a woman is to sneak behind them online, see what's "saved for later" in their Amazon cart. See where the pages are folded in their catologs and magazines. Watch where they stop and pay attention to something in a store for an unusually long amount of time in your plain sight and walk away seemingly disinterested.

But NEVER! I mean NEVER!!!! Think that your idea of "shared hobbies" and things to do together are a good idea. And NEVER Discuss with her a gift idea that is intended for her. That makes you the most unoriginal, non caring sap to walk the face of the earth.

She'll smile and her false appreciation will shine through only to bury that rage in a furnace deep inside. One day, when you think you're on top of your game, it will all come out.......

"You bought that camera for you!!!!!! And you never give any thought to making a gift personal and ONLY about me."

Don't worry about replying, or telling me "my girlfriends not like that." ..... Just know you've been warned. Save that quote,because it might not happen on this one, but one day you'll hear it again and you'll know I was right.

You are a guy, and you will NEVER get ahead of the game reinventing the wheel that every other dope has already ridden on. It's not pessimism it's experience.
Eric, I would take new gear any day of the week but I have to pick it out. That would be like my new guy trying to pick out something photography related to buy for me. Not gonna happen. I would have to write it out with the model number.

I think that Norm summed it up best when he stated, "Women, can't live with them......pass the beer nuts." :D

I miss Norm, Sam, Coach, Carla, Cliff, Diane and the whole gang.

I think that Norm summed it up best when he stated, "Women, can't live with them......pass the beer nuts." :D

I miss Norm, Sam, Coach, Carla, Cliff, Diane and the whole gang.
I was watching cheers on Netflix a few weeks ago, first three episodes.

She has a pretty good eye, but only has a cell phone camera with horribly small sensor, and a penchant for using instagram as a crutch.

So I'm looking for a "real" camera with exposure controls and a bigger sensor (and sneakily cutting her off from convenient instagram access), that is pocket sized so she will actually bring it with her. She isn't too fond of the idea of film (was my first attempt). Budget is maybe $250, used is fine by me. Even if I might be willing to spend more, she'd be annoyed with me for not spending it on other more "practical" things if I go much above that.

So:
* Any brand, anything at all (fixed lens is fine, whatever, "outdated" whatever, 8-10MP only? Whatever), subject only to the below constraints
* Ideally pocket sized if not then purse sized is okay.
* Significantly larger sensor than a cell phone (Nikon CX or M4/3 or larger ideally)
* Able to reasonably directly control exposure aperture, ISO, shutter
* =< $250 (used)

I would have thought there'd be a ton of stuff fitting these criteria, but I'm actually having some trouble.

I always carry a Canon SX260 in my pocket everywhere I go. It's enabled me to get photos I would never have got otherwise. They've upgraded to the SX280 now. It's doesn't cost much at all. Get her a red one like this:

Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Digital Camera (Red) 8225B001 B&H Photo

It has some manual adjustments but mine aren't very user friendly, probably because I haven't taken the time to learn them. It's a point and shoot so I just point it and shoot. :D I carry it on a case but that's probably not even necessary.

I feel like I have just read a really nice script for a sitcom with this thread.

Any ideas on a name? Bro Knows Fotos, TPF Runnahmuck...

I feel like I have just read a really nice script for a sitcom with this thread.

Any ideas on a name? Bro Knows Fotos, TPF Runnahmuck...

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back