Looking For Canon XSi Wide Angle Assistance

TAG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone I've taken some time away from the forums (not that I've been here long) to work and make some money as well as read some books on how to use my new toy. It's come the time that I'd like to purchase a new lens. I'm looking for a nice good quality wide angle lens. I don't need to spend crazy amounts of money but I'm not cheaping out either.

I was looking at this lens here

Canon | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens | 1242B002AA | B&H Photo

but I'm not sure if it's what I want. There is a more expensive 16-35mm L series but it's quite a bit more money, but if I'll be much happier with the L series lens then perhaps I should consider spending the extra coin.
This is it http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486708-USA/Canon_1910B002AA_EF_16_35mm_f_2_8L_II.html

These are the lenses I currently have
EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

let me know what you ladies and gents think I should do.

Thanks a million

-TAG

Last edited:
for a wide angle lens for a crop sensor camera have you considered the Sigma 10-20mm? Its quality of image is rated as good as the Canon and yet its price is much less.
The 16-35mm does have the advantage that it will work with a fullframe camera if you are looking to upgrade to one at some point and want to keep your lenses - the 10-20 is not fullframe compatable

I doubt that I'll be upgrading past this camera. I have too many other hobbies to get completely head over heels into this one too. Just looking for a good all around wide angle lense. I'd prefer to stay with Canon, I'm sure the quality and durability are almost Identical to the Canon but I've always stuck with Canon and I'll most likely leave it that way. But then again we'll see. I may start looking into some other brands of lenses.

I'm kinda leaning towards the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM lens. Does anyone have this lens or have anything to say about it?

Sigma are a good 3rd party lens manufacture - their only lenses that can end up soft tend to be the super zooms (of which they have several) and even Canon have similar problems with their 100-400mm superzoom - they are very easy to misscalibrate in production due to their complexity.

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS; is probably the 'best' lens in this range. Most people say that the image quality is akin to that of L lenses...but it doesn't get the L designation because it's EF-S. That being said, the build quality isn't really up to L standards. Some have found that it is prone to getting dust inside (which is mostly harmless but really annoying). I've also heard that the IS system is prone to failure with heavy use. This may not be an issue for a hobbyist but it's something to consider.

There is also the cost to consider. You can get very good results out of either the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8. or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 for about half the price of the Canon.

I'm sure you know that you will get the same 'range' out of these lenses as you do out of your 18-55mm lens.

If you want a truly wide angle, I'd suggest something like the Canon 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20mm.

I have the sigma 10-20 and can recommend it. It is quite sharp. Cheaper than the Canon lens as well.

New Glass on the way, thanks a lot guys. Very Helpful information. I ordered the Canon 10-20mm. Also ordered a new camera bag for my quickly growing amount of gear.

I also recently purchased a flash for my camera as well.

Congrats, you will love the 10-22mm, it's a fantastic lens.

Many of the shots in my landscape gallery were taken with that lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back